Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese high school 2009/10/9 04:00
I've never been to Japan before, so I'm not aware of the policy on the age limit to go to high school there. I had to drop out of my local public high school because I moved, and instead enrolled into an online school (eventually). I am 19 years old, now, and am wondering if it's too late to enroll into a Japanese high school (it should be apparent that I haven't graduated yet). If I cannot, then I won't make any immediate attempts to move there, but I need to know either way. Thank you in advance! ^^-
~Khaza
by khaza1wolfgurl  

Are you prepared to endure? 2009/10/9 11:12
Khaza,

I am not in Japan, so I can't respond to your q. Instead, I like to offer you a road map that can get you to Japan. So bear with me and read it and if all make sense to you, then break down one barrier and next.

I am assuming from reading your thread you haven't gotten the high school equivalent G.E.D.-once you have it, enroll in the community college - then in the local college or university to get the Bachelor Degree. Also, at the same time with your college studies become a member of Japanese language society (if you are not semi-fluent in Japanese language how will you keep up with other student?)

Moreover, if you aren't semi-fluent in Japanese (writing, reading & speaking) they will turn you down for school or job anyways. Also, have you been saving for a trip to Japan - very expensive!

Good news is, the Rotary club (there is one in Georgia) sponsor the international student exchange to high schooler(s) and college students. And that would the smart way.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

Are you fluent? 2009/10/9 11:26
Are you fluent in Japanese? If not, how could you even expect to keep up with the course work? They won't be teaching in English.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

exchange programs 2009/10/9 11:33
Khaza,

As far as I understand it, high school exchange programs have a cut off age. I think its typically 17 years old by the date of departure, so you probably won't qualify for those programs. As stanfordgal mentions your best bet to live longterm in Japan would be to get your bachelors first. In the meantime travel to Japan if you haven't already and check out the country. It may not be what you expect.

A note about rotary club exchange programs. My rotary friend tells me that its a great program, with one drawback. You don't get to choose where you go, i.e. not even the country. So I wouldn't consider this a reliable means of getting to Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

for local residents 2009/10/9 15:08
I don't know about exchange programs, but I can tell you about normal procedures for local residents.

As long as you are over 15, there is no age limit whatsoever to enter senior high school here in Japan. Nationality is not an issue either.

However, since senior high school is not compulsory education here, only those who have passed the entrance exam can be granted enterance. The degree of difficulty of the exam differs depending on the school, but all public school exams are designed for those who have or will soon graduate ordinary junior high school. In other words, you need to at least speak, read and write Japanese as fluent as an average 15 year old in Japan.

Also, apart from night schools, almost everyone enters senior high school at the age of 15. That is how it is.

You also have the option to check out private international high schools here where they educate you in English or other foreign languages, however, tuition fee is quite high. Age limit and qualifications differ depending on the school.

If you want to live in Japan, it's probably best to finish high school at home, and then either apply for short term university exchange programs or wait until you get your bachelors as another poster has suggested. But maybe you just wanted to experience the Japanese high school life.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

too old 2009/10/9 17:30
you're too old to be going to public high school, most people graduate when they're 18.

if you want to study in japan just go to a university or technical college or language school.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread