Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Roppongi or Shinjuku? 2009/10/9 08:50
We are a couple in our early 30's heading to Japan for the first time. Do people recommend staying in Roppongi or Shinjuku while in Tokyo? We like to go out to bars at night so what area would suit better. I've read Roppongi can be quite touristy which is sometimes not a bad thing for our first trip but also being near a main train station (Shinjuku) can very handy to get around. Is there also lots to do in Shinjuku at night?
And one last question! What time do the trains stop at night?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
by banm (guest)  

I personally prefer Shinjuku 2009/10/10 00:23
I'm an American living in Japan and I personally prefer the nightlife in Shinjuku. There are lots of bars in Roppongi, but I like how Shinjuku lights up at night. They say NYC is the city that never sleeps....but I think Tokyo is really the city that never sleeps! Shinjuku is always bustling on the weekend.

Trains stop running around midnight. So, plan on staying up till around 4:30 or 5:00. You can always catch a cab if your hotel is in Tokyo....might cost you a pretty yenny for the ride though! Have fun! Tokyo is awesome city to visit!
by Gaijin-gal (guest) rate this post as useful

Bars Everywhere 2009/10/10 05:20
There are great bar everywhere in Tokyo. Also the train system is amazing so I would not worry about if Shinjuku or Roppongi are better. With that said I do prefer Shinjuku.
by ryokans rate this post as useful

yuck 2009/10/10 08:21
roppongi is a dirty foreigner area IMO, i would not go there unless you like sleazy foreign guys and dangerous clubs that will slip GHB into your drinks. not good.

shinjuku is a lot better. if you are looking for clubs shibuya is better.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

stay in Shinjuku 2009/10/10 11:55
Shinjuku is much better area. ( I think) And much more to do & see there. It has a much more "japan feel" than Roppongi. Roppongi is the area where most the tourist go in Tokyo. There are more tourist there than Japanese in some of the clubs. Just like bars in any other big city. Go there and check it out one night, but I would stay in Shinjuku.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

detail 2009/10/10 13:53
I would say that the foreigners in Roppongo bars are more likely to be people living in Japan than tourists, but either way I think Shinjuku is more fun and less dodgy.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

shinjuku 2009/10/11 12:11
I`d say Shinjuku.
Roppongi is supposed to be a good city for foreigners, but really there are only weird men trying to get us into ''shisha bars'' as they say... xD

Shinjuku on the other hand is a very lively and fun city at night!

The last trains are around midnight (can`T remember exactly), and they start again at 5 in the morning...
by T.G (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/10/11 20:26
Thank you so much for all your comments. We have decided to stay in Shinjuku! Cant wait to get there and explore everything Tokyo has to offer.
by banm (guest) rate this post as useful

where??? 2009/10/12 07:14
Try to --sorry--DO Google JR Yamanote line..this is a loop line that goes around Tokyo major neighbourhoods (except Asakusa and Roppongi).
About 3.5 milion people use it daily...

Anywhere along that line is a good place to stay. I favor Shinagawa, Ueno, Yanaka....
You don't have to stay in Shinjuku (a great place to visit and shop, along with Shibuya and Harajuku) as do far too many foreigners ..be more open to other areas..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread