Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thinking of moving to Japan 2009/10/9 11:01
Hi. I've always wanted to live in Japan for a long time, but still doing some homework on how to achieve this. I'm currently living in Hong Kong, working as an English Teacher with the government schools (the NET scheme if you have heard of it). I'm Eurasian, being 1/2 Swiss and 1/2 Chinese, but I tend to look more Asian than Caucasian. I know the pay for English teachers in Japan is lower compared to Hong Kong, but is it possible to teach at schools or other instituions rather than conversation schools? This is the one thing that has put my plan on hold. Both me and my wife want to move out of Hong Kong soon, and Japan is one of our top choices. But if the chances of finding work or good work is slim (I know there's an over supply of teachers there), then does it sound like I can forget my dream?
Thanks a lot.
by Veek  

good luck 2009/10/9 12:46
How's your Japanese? The better it is the better your chance is. Do remember alot of people, not just you, have the same dream as you. You just got to be better than them (your skills, money and reasons to move etc.)and have good luck because the no. of immigrants to japan each year, i remember finding in google, is 2nd least in the world...
by gee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re:Good luck 2009/10/9 13:28
Thanks gee .. my Japanese is so-so .. i've passed level 3 of the proficiency test. Do you know if it's really a must to follow the usual path i.e. work in the eikawas then move on to better positions via word of mouth?
by Veek rate this post as useful

moving to japan 2009/10/9 14:02
Look up Interac, Inc, on the web. They hire native English speakers from darn near everywhere to work in the schools. (I met Interac teachers from Australia, Scotland, Canada, Bhutan, India, and the Phillipines as a start).
And you don't have to speak a word of Japanese to go do it. As a matter of fact, I was placed in a school after that school rejected the previous Interac teacher because she was TOO Japanese - she was Japanese-American and spoke Japanese fluently. Apparently they wanted a more exotic type of foreigner.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread