Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is my name in kanji ? 2009/10/10 23:43
My name is derry and i've looked everywhere!, for my name to be translated into kanji. Also if anyone can tell me what it is could you also tell me the meaning :)

Thankyou.
by Derry (guest)  

... 2009/10/11 15:32
Derry,

Non-Japanese names can be written in "katakana" - a set of Japanese phonetic letters, which carry just the "sounds" of your name. "Derry" would look like:

デリー
(de ri [long bar for long vowel])

If you want your name written in "kanji," you can choose a string of arbitrarily selected kanji that have same or similar sounds to your name, which have pleasant meanings or meanings you like. Note that there is no "one correct way" to write in kanji a name that is originally not Japanese or Chinese, that is, not written in kanji characters. The meanings will be as you choose. Note also that there are many kanji that have the same sounds, so if you ask ten Japanese people to select kanji for your name, it is likely that you get ten different strings of kanji.
by AK rate this post as useful

Nope 2009/10/11 15:32
You don't have one.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread