Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Power-sockets: trains & public 2009/10/11 04:59
Hello all,

I am about to travel to Japan for the first time and decide to make the trip a budget one. That means I will spend some nights in sleeper trains, overnight buses as well as capsule hotels. All is well until I consider the issue of charging proprietary batteries for my appliances! So here are my questions:

- Is there any power socket available in trains (Shinkansen and in Nobinobi cubicles of sleeper trains) and in overnight buses that passengers can use?

- Is there any power socket in public buildings/spaces that I can 'conveniently' borrow without too much hassle? If not, what you reckon would be the cheapest alternative paid options?

Thanks in advance, everyone.
by Ipsen (guest)  

... 2009/10/11 11:56
That means I will spend some nights in sleeper trains, overnight buses as well as capsule hotels.

Note that sleeper trains are not usually a budget option. Many of them tend to be as expensive as a standard hotel or even more expensive. Overnight buses, domestic flights and the Japan Rail Pass tend to be the best budget options.

Is there any power socket available in trains (Shinkansen and in Nobinobi cubicles of sleeper trains) and in overnight buses that passengers can use?

Some shinkansen trains have power outlets, especially the newer ones. Some have outlets in every row or even every seat, while others have them only in the front row. Many don't have them at all. Furthermore, most of the new train sets that have a lot of outlets, serve as Nozomi trains, which are not covered by the Japan Rail Pass.

There seem to be no outlets in the nobinobi compartments. I doubt that they are available on buses.

Public places where I imagine you could recharge your appliances include some cafes and fast food restaurants, where some tables (especially counter table) have outlets for business people to use their laptops. Maybe maga-kissa places and internet cafes. And hotel rooms (not sure about capsule hotels).
by Uji rate this post as useful

you must be joking! 2009/10/11 15:53
How long does it take you to recharge your devices? it takes me 2 hrs to recharge my camera battery...

Even if a restaurant or cafe doesn't use much electricity to recharge a battery it is just not proper for you to do this for free! you will have to eat and drink something.
Loitering in a public building with your battery charger in one of their plug might well arouse suspicion.

Just rent a room in a hostel or cheap hotel and charge it there.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/10/11 16:37
1. Actually, living in a dormitory is cheaper than staying in a capsule hotel. Dorm prices range from 1.5k~2k yen depending on where you are staying. Be prepared though, you'll have to share the room with 3-5 people.

2. Buildings have power sockets, but it will look kind of weird to have someone standing around with his laptop or whatever plugged into the wall socket. You can charge your electronic items in a dorm or a hostel without any hassle. Remember to bring adapters and the necessary plugs, an example can be found at http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html
by Shiroi Koibito rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/10/12 02:16
Thanks, everyone, for your very swift responses.

I will be travelling with a JR Pass and the particular sleeper train I have in mind is the Sunrise Seto, the Nobinobi of which is fully covered by the Pass, I believe.

Because I want to save the valuable daylight time, for some truly long-distance segments of the trip I opt to use the overnight options for transport. If power sockets are not available in those services, that would mean my batteries, already drained the day before, would not be recharged and be needed immediately for the day after. Hence the question about publicly-available sockets.

As an act of assurance for those, like Monkey sea, with a concern about my motive, please be reminded that I would probably only use these as last resort after those particular travelling nights. I do believe it is morally wrong to free-load on people's paid electricity, so I always seek legally-free options before resorting to the cheapskate ones (and only at times of great need...)

On a related note: do people normally mind if I politely ask to recharge my stuff using their sockets? I am talking more about info-centres than about private residences.

Thanks again! And any further advice is still much welcome ;)
by Ipsen (guest) rate this post as useful

Asking 2009/10/12 04:29
Although asking if you can use power sockets is the right thing to do, it's just weird and the workers would just look at you really weird (before most likely having a manager come up to you and say no, please leave immediately)

I agree with Monkey see's advice, if financially feasible, just get a room or hostel or something and save yourself from all this trouble! I think you're just wasting your thinking about this.

By the way, what are your truly long distance segments? For example, judging by your Sunrise Seto example, it only takes about 5.5 hours (via Hikari) compared to 9+ hours on the night train. Taking the first shinkansen just seems so much more comfortable and easier on you.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

a kinder, gentler answer 2009/10/12 06:50
Your computer battery may go down in a day (hopefully you will NOT spend that much time on a computer?) but your camera battery should last days.
I have a Lumix, with a X12 zoom, left it at 7 megapixels, take lots of photos daily, yet the batteries last for 2-3 days. My trick is to shut off the camera after taking several pictures of a subject, even if I am likely to take another photo 2 minutes later. I tried once to put it in auto shut off..king of a sleep mode..and the battery drained in a day!
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

public available outlets 2009/10/12 11:40
If you are really on a tight budget then night buses will be the most economical way of travelling. However, there haven't been outlets available on any of the night buses I've taken.

Public places where I imagine you could recharge your appliances include some cafes and fast food restaurants, where some tables (especially counter table) have outlets for business people to use their laptops. Maybe maga-kissa places and internet cafes. And hotel rooms (not sure about capsule hotels).

Despite the misgivings of other posters on this thread, it is perfectly acceptable to plug into outlets at the sites Uji mentioned. Obviously they are meant for patrons of the restaurant, manga-kissa, etc. so you will be expected to purchase something.

How long does it take you to recharge your devices? it takes me 2 hrs to recharge my camera battery...

Simply top off your batteries when you get a chance. 30 minutes while having breakfast, or 1hr during lunch and you may find that your batteries are never significantly depleted. Remember that even a 15 minute top off can mean dozens of pictures.

On a related note: do people normally mind if I politely ask to recharge my stuff using their sockets? I am talking more about info-centres than about private residences.

Generally I think it would be odd to ask an info center (and not a good use of your time standing around waiting for batteries to charge), rather than finding a cafe/restaurant that has plugs available while you eat. Also, if it isn't obvious and you have to ask someone, then the answer will likely be no.

before most likely having a manager come up to you and say no, please leave immediately

This is highly unlikely to happen in Japan.

I agree with Monkey see's advice, if financially feasible, just get a room or hostel or something and save yourself from all this trouble! I think you're just wasting your thinking about this.

I disagree that thinking about this is a waste of time as there are many situations where you may find that you will need to charge on the go that have nothing to do with trying to save money. Just find a place where is is allowed as mentioned and you will be fine.

By the way, what are your truly long distance segments? For example, judging by your Sunrise Seto example, it only takes about 5.5 hours (via Hikari) compared to 9+ hours on the night train. Taking the first shinkansen just seems so much more comfortable and easier on you.

Think of it this way however, thats 5.5 hours of sightseeing time spent sitting on the train, while 9 hours travelling by night train/bus not only makes more efficient use of your travelling time (assuming you can sleep on trains/buses) but also saves on the cost of a hotel for a night.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread