Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anime recommendations for school club? 2009/10/11 07:10
I'm a Canadian elementary school teacher who used to live in Japan many years ago. Our school is starting up 30-minute weekly club activities and I've been asked to start up a Japan Anime Club as such characters (Pokemon, Inuyasha, etc...) are popular in our school and I've had experience in Japan.

Good idea. Only thing is, I've never really been into anime and I don't know any good shows that elementary-age students would like and that's school-appropriate. I'm hoping to get some suggestions from the Japan-Guide readers.

Thank you!
by Canadian teacher (guest)  

hmm anime in elementary school? 2009/10/11 14:21
Ahhh that's actually risky business.
You'll have to be sure to mostly use on the editied versions like the ones from 4kids. I know for one thing a lot of shows for kids also cater to adults and so they tend to have some things that may not be appropriate. Namely stuff like Dragonball. I love that show and the manga but man if my parents knew what I was reading when I was 8 years old...
So yeah going off of my younger cousin's(he is 9) likes
i suggest :
4kids version of pokemon
Beyblade
Yu-gi-oh
Pretty cure
Naruto -edited down version but still has some minor perverted parts
that's all I can think of that would be okay at schools. I'm sure other people will have even more and better suggestions
by Kitsuneakitsune rate this post as useful

Miyazaki and Tezuka 2009/10/11 18:35
You should ask your students for recommendations. Other than that, on the more "all-generation/maestro" side, the works of Hayao Miyazaki are a must for teachers. In particular, "Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi" has won an Oscar. Then if you want to explore further, the late Osamu Tezuka is the father of animation in Japan.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594503/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0856804/
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/10/12 01:14
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've thought about the Miyazaki films, but I was worried that the 30-minute weekly time block wouldn't give them the proper continuity. I should also clarify that this club is for grade 4,5 and 6 students. The club will last until winter break. We'll choose new clubs in January.

I'll have our AV room for my club so there's a built-in LCD projector, wide screen, surround sound and a high-speed Internet connection.

Keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate it.
by Canadian teacher (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/12 05:18
I might want to include an episode from "Sazae-san" and "Doraemon". I am not sure if it would be a hit among older kids, but an episode from "Manga Nippon Mukashibanashi" would be interesting, too.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

TV series 2009/10/12 08:53
Both Miyazaki and Tezuka did a lot of TV series. You might want to check them out. As a Japanese, I also recommend "Manga Nippon Mukashibanashi" which is way underestimated in foreign countries. But I prefer "Chibi Maruko-chan" over "Sazae-san." The former is actually a lot more popular among the current Japanese youth and more based on real life which is the life of the author back in the mid 1960s. Maruko-chan is a 3rd grade goofy girl with a 6th grade sister, by the way.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Tonari no Totoro 2009/10/12 13:22
by yuduki (guest) rate this post as useful

sorry 2009/10/12 13:24
"Tonari no Totoro" is too long to see in 30 min...
by yuduki (guest) rate this post as useful

anime.. 2009/10/12 20:57
These are some anime shows I used to watch when I was a kid (I'm a high schooler now):

Beyblade (Cartoon Disney, watched around 9-11 years old)
Yu Gi Oh (cartoon network had this, watched in 4th grade)
Pokemon (um... 4 years old to 2nd/3rd grade)
Prince of Tennis (5th to 6th grade.)
Transformers (4th grade, maybe?)
Astro Boy
Digimon
Hamtaro
Speed Racer

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post more later if I can think of anything. Hope it helps!
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

First club day 2009/10/18 08:25
Thanks for all of your responses! For those who are curious, I've decided to show Astro Boy for the first Anime club meeting this week because the Hollywood-version is opening in movie theatres soon. I've asked some students and they've already seen the trailer. Again, thanks for all your help!
by Canadian teacher (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread