Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ski suits for kids and adults 2009/10/11 17:18
HI! we have a day in tokyo before heading to nagano. We're first time skiers and as we plan to spend 3 days on the slopes, was thinking of buying the ski suits rather than renting.

Could anyone advise on where to get them? I've read about the Kanda area but I wonder if they have the "cheaper stuff".we just need something decent, since we are just beginners and don't want to spend too much.

I've also read they can be found in discount shops, eg Olympic, Daisei
where are these Olympic or Daisei shops ?
we arrive from narita in the early morning so have the afternoon to shop, but being first-timers to tokyo, we're afraid of getting lost, so detailed directions would be much appreciated!

Budget abt 5,000 yen for adults and 3,000 for kids for a set- is it possible to get anything for this price?

Many thanks in advance-
by greentea (guest)  

.... 2009/10/11 19:25
Your budget is toooo cheap. You should plan on renting.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

oh 2009/10/11 21:22
Oh ! i read in the other threads that Olympic had them for around that price-or maybe the threads were really old and they cost more now!

Can anyone update?
thanks
by greentea (guest) rate this post as useful

You have enough to rent skis LOL 2009/10/11 21:46
You will need to recheck your finances based on the followings: 5,000 yen = US $56 less the exchange fees...... 3,000 yen = US $33.50 less the exchange fees.

Consider:
(1) Round trip transportation, rental of skis, ski boots, safety equipment (helmet) and ski lift fees.

(2) Normal outfits are (all insulated and water-proofed) ski jacket, thermal pull overs, thermal pants, ski pants, wool socks, gloves, and sunglasses.

*** However if for one-day only and renting of ski clothe become impossible, most important to take with you are beside each person's wearing jacket and multiple set of pants and BESIDE WEARING THEM - extra clothes per person in case they get wet: 1-pair of wools sock, 1-thermal or long sleeve pull overs, 1-thermal long john, 1-pants, 1 jacket, 1 pair of shoes, 1 underwear.

I do not live in Japan but I have been skiing at the Heavenly Valley and Squaw Valley for 20+
and standard equipments rented are a pair of skis & ski boots ONLY.

Links:
www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=65 -

by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

This thread is 2 years old 2009/10/11 22:03
Kanda Cheap (London Sports outlet) 2007/10/24

The ski/snowboard(sports store) area is located between Ogawamachi and Jimbocho subway stations in the Kanda district of Tokyo along Yasakuni Dori(Yasakuni Street) and the small streets just off it. There are a few exits at Ogawamachi subway station, but get out at exit B5.

You can also get there via JR (Japan Rail, useful if you have a JR Railpass). Get off at Ochanomizu station at the east end of the station, and head south down Hongo Dori (it runs down the hill away from the river) until it hits Yasakuni Dori just near Ogawamachi subway station. Cross to the south side of Yasakuni Dori, and then walk west along Yasakuni Dori, and within 30-40m youfll see some ski/snowboard shops. The first one the left is a surplus store called Kanda Cheap (London Sports outlet, but written in Japanese), where you can get some skis/boards/boots, but loads of name brand sports clothes and shoes, and name brand ski jackets and pants up stairs.
They start from about $5000yen. There are some goretex/entrant from about $9000yen.

e.g. they had Bonfire 3 layer gortex jacket/pants set for 19,500yen last january.
by Sandy
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

skiwear 2009/10/12 12:24
we have a day in tokyo before heading to nagano. We're first time skiers and as we plan to spend 3 days on the slopes, was thinking of buying the ski suits rather than renting.

If you will be skiing for 3 days then buying cheap equipment will probably come out to about the same or more than what it would cost to rent. Rental wear, which typically includes a jacket, pants, gloves, and goggles, costs about 5000 yen and is available at practically every resort in Japan. It would be even cheaper to rent from small rental shops that are unaffiliated with the snow resort, but which often have slightly older gear. I've seen prices of around 3000 yen for gear (skis/boots/poles) and about 3000 yen for skiwear rental. Keep in mind that whether renting or buying you will need to supply your own thermal underwear.

If you would rather buy then check out chain sports stores like Sports Alpen or Sports Depot. They have house brand gear for around 5000 yen/piece, and you could probably put together an adult set for around 15000 yen.

Oh ! i read in the other threads that Olympic had them for around that price-or maybe the threads were really old and they cost more now!

I haven't heard of Olympic, so maybe others with experience shopping there know their prices. But I think it will be hard to beat the price of discount rental shops.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

tks 2009/10/12 13:30
thank you, everyone! looks like we'll stick to renting!
by greentea (guest) rate this post as useful

Kanda Cheap 2009/10/12 17:49
Just more info on Kanda Cheap (London Sports outlet) store in Kanda.
I was in there two days ago, and they have waterproof ski pants for around 6500yen, and other pants for less, from around 3500Yen.
Jackets are a little more.

If you decide not to buy, you should at least go there to get gloves & hats, etc, as these are very cheap compared to ski resorts.

So far as renting clothes, at Hakuba, pants & jacket set will cost 8400yen(7000yen for kids) and hat/gloves/goggles are 4200yen, for 3 days.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

where in nagano 2009/10/13 10:38
Greentea,

Where are you going in Nagano? If you know the resort then people can give you a better idea of the exact costs of renting as it varies from place to place.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread