Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haka dori 2009/10/12 11:32
I recently learned a new karate kenpo technique called haka dori. What could be the right translation in that context? I'm sure it might be mispelled though. Does 'tomb street' sound ridiculous?

Thank you!
by pays de glace  

... 2009/10/12 13:03
If it's related to "kenpo," then I think it's likely that the "...dori" part comes from the verb "toru," meaning "to catch," normally the opponent (or part of the opponent's body), of course. So I don't think it has anything to do with a tomb... can you describe what kind of move that was?
by AK rate this post as useful

Will this help ? 2009/10/12 14:45
HAKA DORI wrist release, elbow, back fist, turn back kick

www.kensho-ryumillbury.com/NEW%20STUDENT%20PACKAGE.html -
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

This is it... almost! 2009/10/15 10:36
Thank you AK and standfordgal. The technique is as described by standfordgal excepted the back kick. We finish the technique with a downward blow to the oponent's arm instead.
by pays de glace rate this post as useful

Could it be? 2009/10/15 12:03
You welcome.

^5 ;-) ;-)

Have you already asked your instructor. Might be one method for men and another for women.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

No... 2009/10/16 09:36
I didn't ask my instructor, it was rather the other way around! I'm a beginner at learning japanese and he seems to believe that i'm already fluent... which it's absolutely not the case!
This technique is practiced by both male and female, but techniques can differ a lot depending the style. Mine is Nick cerio's kenpo karate.
by pays de glace rate this post as useful

reply to this thread