Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good afforable beginner DSLR 2009/10/14 01:12
Hi, and thanks for the answers on my previous post , i want to know if anyone can help to recommend a good new or second hand DSLR with lens with 40,000 yen budget or less :) .
Which brand and model, actually loooking at the D90 , didnt like the pentax too much due to the AA batteries. If anyone is around tokyo , maybe you can bring me there to buy the camera.

Thanks for replying
by Sharon80  

budget 2009/10/14 09:15
A new Nikon D90 with a lens is about 50,000yen more than your budget.

A second hand D90 with lens (if you can find one) will probably be 40,000yen more than your budget.

Regarding the Pentax K-m, there is no particular disadvantage with AA batteries. The newer rechargable Eneloop batteries are very good, and are way cheaper than the proprietry batteries. Plus if you run out of battery power, you can buy some regular AAs.

The Pentax K-m is the ONLY DSLR camera with a lens, that is within your budget (39,800yen), that can be found at Akihabara.
http://kakaku.com/item/00491011154/
That's a bargain price, as some other stores have it for 10,000yen more.

If you go for a second hand camera, you need to ask yourself if you know what to look for. e.g. Is it working properly? Is the lens workign correctly? Is there haze or fungus ont he lens? Does it have dust on the sensor? Does it include box plus all accessories? Is the battery working? Is the charger included?
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/14 16:16
AA batteries should be a plus plus in your book, it is my book.

I hate items that use proprietary batteries. When it dies, your screwed without a charger. However anywhere in the world, and many shops and supermarkets will have AA batteries on hand for those emergency situations.

AA rechargable batteries are very affordable and hold a lot of power to them these days.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

beginner DSLR 2009/10/16 14:46
according to him http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm you'd better consider D40. you can buy it here http://tinyurl.com/yjfbtch
by bb (guest) rate this post as useful

sorry wrong link 2009/10/16 17:17
by bb (guest) rate this post as useful

Nikon D40x second hand 2009/10/18 09:24
hi all , i tried some of the website like the yahoo auction japan. Could not log in as i could not register at all.
Can someone tells me if i can get the Nikon D40x or D40 at less than 20,000 yen with kit in the second hand shops.
Getting anxious.

Thanks
by Sharon80 (guest) rate this post as useful

d40 2009/10/18 09:33
hi all , i tried some of the website like the yahoo auction japan. Could not log in as i could not register at all.
Can someone tells me if i can get the Nikon D40x or D40 at less than 20,000 yen with kit in the second hand shops.
Getting anxious.

I am highly doubtful that you will find ANY dslr in that price range. I was shopping used cameras yesterday and d40's were in the 40,000-45,000 yen price range with the basic 18-55mm lens, and only about 5,000 yen cheaper without lens. The only used nikon dslr's that are under 40,000 yen may be the d100 or d70. I did see a d70 with 18-55mm lens for around 25,000 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

high 2009/10/18 11:00
The D40 & D40x always seem to command a high price second hand, as yllwsmrf pointed out.

While it's a good beginners camera, the one disadvantage is that it can only use the newer AF-S lenses by Nikon, which have a built in focus motor. Any older Nikon lenses which use the mechanical focus screw, with the focus motor built in to the body, will not autofocus on a D40, D40x, D60, D3000 or the D5000.(these cameras don't have a focus motor built in to the body)

I very occasionally see a Nikon D40 second hand for around 16,000yen without lens, but this is rare.

BTW 2009/10/18 11:03
By the way, don't take what Ken Rockwell (above link) says, 100% seriously, as he either loves something or hates it.
In the case of the D40, he loves it. It a reasonable DSLR, but not as good as he makes it out to be.

reply to this thread