Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Roomshare 2009/10/19 19:52
Hello,

Ifm about to move to Osaka in two months for a year or two (for studying), and think about to share a room with a Japanese person as my accommodation choice because itfs cheap and Ifm not so rich.

When looking for room share on the internet Ifve seen lots of stuff, some seem too good to be true (like really cheap rent in good location or living in exchange of house chores or that the rent include the utilities and some are even with furniture and other vital things), but also seen some suspicious or weird stuff like dividing the room with a curtain or different rent for males and females or no rent at all (although I donft really mind to choose those options if itfs a common thing in Japan, I just donft want to have problems later).
The most important things to me are the rent, bathroom and location (room size doesnft matter to me at all).
Do you think itfs a good thing to choose room share as accommodation in Japan?
How long before starting room share do I need to contact the person? Will two months be too much earlier (it also takes time to get all the information and decide soc)
Will most of the Japanese be willing to accept a foreigner as a roommate? (I can speak Japanese to intermediate level I think and Ifm not a problematic person).
I know this it a stupid question, but do you think itfs a good idea for a girl to live at the same room with a guy? (Of course that eventually itfs my decision if Ifm comfortable with that, but just would like to know what others think).
Ifve looked in google for room share / mate sites, but not sure if I found the popular good sites, so if you know of a good roomshare/mate sites (in Japanese) could you please give a link?
By the way, if you have some experience with that, could you please share it?
I also would like to ask some questions

regarding basic expenses:
What is the average payment for utilities? (electricity, water etc.).
How much does a futon cost? How much cost a pillow, a down comforter and sheets for the futon?
How much does a low table (the typical one) cost?
What is the average cost of food (per day/week/month)?

Ifm very sorry that Ifve written so much and asked many stupid questions. Thank you for reading everything and I hope you can help me.
Thank you for all your help.

by Lina (guest)  

Somewhat general comments 2009/10/20 09:58
You might want to start off with short-term "guesthouse" type of places; they have dormitory style, individual rooms, etc. as well; you can pick according to your budget.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2032.html

The thing is room share is that (if I were in your shoes at least) you would want to meet the potential sharemate "in person" before you start living/sharing a room/apartment. Room share is not THAT common in Japan to begin with, so people who are into it tend want to see you beforehand as well. So it will be easier if you start looking for one once you are in Japan.

Another thing is that (again if I were you) I would not want to be trying to be adjusting to live in a foreign country AND at the same time getting used to a new roommate - I think it might be easier if you find other not-so-expensive option and get started with that, and after you get comfortable with the idea of living in Japan, to find room/apartment share mate(s)...
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/20 11:57
I've seen one guesthouse in-person and although it was cheap, it was tiny and messy. They divided one room into two, or maybe even three, rooms with a makeshift wall. To give you an idea of how small it was, you could lay down two suitcases lengthwise and it would cover the entire room. There was no room for a table.

This particular guesthouse was 35,000 in rent plus 10,000 in utilities.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/21 17:01
Thank you for you replies.

Ifd rather not to stay at a guesthouse because they are meant for tourists more than students.
Also Ifve seen lots of roomshare offers which are cheaper than guesthouse (and cheaper utilities), and also prefer private bathroom(I know itfs stupid of me but canft be helped).

I'd rather not to move from place to place all the time, so I try to choose now something that might be suitable for me (I know it may be inevitable to move).
I think that I donft really mind not to meet the potential sharemate in person as long as he/she doesnft mind. Do you think itfs possible? (I think that in the worst case one I can move out after a short term and look for new sharemate)
Will they accept a foreign as their roommate?
Many people in Japan move from their city to other far distance city and some choose room share, so do they all meet before and have interviews for the potential sharemates? How long before itfs needed to contact the person for room share?
Also Ifve stayed with a host family in Japan two years ago, and didnft get to know them before the day I arrived and I got along pretty good.

I Hope you can help me some more
Thank you.
by Lina (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread