Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One of them question... 2009/10/22 13:53
Hi all.

I'm a 22 year old Canadian female that like alot of people, want to move to Japan. Long story short, I'm incredibly unhappy with my life here, and I'm looking for a change. I was in Japan this summer past and I absolutely loved it.

My problem is, I only have a 2 year Tourism Studies diploma. I'm very well aware this will probably get me nowhere in Japan.
So I've come here to ask if there was anything I could do that would increase my chances of getting a job in Japan that isn't working at a hostess bar. Certifications or the like?

Just for the record, going back to school for another 2 years to get a Bachelors Degree isn't an option for me at the moment.

Thank you in advance.
by Static (guest)  

live in Japan 2009/10/22 15:17
First of all, the bachelor's degree is an immigration requirement for a work visa, and without one (or a significant amount of work experience in a particular field) you wouldn't qualify for a work visa.

You do have a few options, however none of which immediately lead to living long term in Japan. The first option would be a Working Holiday Visa which would allow you to work for up to a year in Japan. The other option would be a student visa, but this is expensive as you need to provide proof of funds to support school and living BEFORE arriving in Japan. Other than that, you don't have any options for long term stay as certificates won't qualify you for a visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Reply to yllwsmrf 2009/10/22 15:45
It's kind of disheartning to know that I probably don't even stand a chance in doing this because myself nor my parents could ever afford to send me to a 4-year University, but I guess life just sucks like that. I've been saving up for 3 and a half years to do this too. Bah.

Thank you for your honest and non-condescending answer, yllwsmrf :)

by Static (guest) rate this post as useful

bad news 2009/10/22 16:07
Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.

But why not put the money you've saved toward continuing your education to a bachelor's degree. That will be far more useful and a better investment than immediately moving here with few job skills and the handicap of not being or speaking Japanese. And completing your degree would also reopen the door to Japan if you still wish to move here in the future.

Another possibility would be to apply for the WHV, even though you will be limited to a year in Japan. Even an experience that short could be just what you need to satisfy your dream.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread