Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chinese name pronounced in Japanese 2009/10/24 22:20
Hi,

I'll be visiting Japan soon to do attend a scientific-research school at SPring-8. Out of curiosity, I am wondering if anybody could translate my Chinese name into Japanese pronunciation and if it'll sound silly? lol =)

(In Traditional Chinese Characters)
My Family name is (Lee3) 李
And my given name is (Jun4 Qiao2) 俊 橋

Thank you so much for the help.
by Jun (guest)  

... 2009/10/25 12:40
The kanji in your name 李俊橋 pronounced in the Japanese way would be:
"Rii" "Shun" "Kyou"

"Lee" is a widely known Chinese family name; some people might pronounce it somewhat closer to "Rii" than "Lii," but it will sound pretty much the same. Nothing silly at all :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/10/25 18:49
Thank you so much AK.

By the way, are there alternative ways to say it?

My friends call me Jun for short (following the Chinese pronunciation), but my friend said "Jun" in Japanese is a girls name. lol
by Jun (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/25 19:30
俊 is pronounced either "Shun" or "Toshi" in Japanese, and is used widely as part of both male and female names in Japanese.

For example (with hyphen used to show where the individual kanji reading ends),
Female name: 俊子 Toshi-ko
Male names: 俊男 Toshi-o, 俊洋 Toshi-hiro, 俊彦 Toshi-hiko, 俊光 Toshi-mitsu
俊介 Shun-suke, 俊一 Shun-ichi.

"Jun" can be a shortened nickname for various names in Japanese, both male and female; "Jun-ko" would be a female name, and "Jun-ichi-ro" would be a male name, for example. So if you want to keep using "Jun" as your nickname in Japan, I think that would be fine as well :)

names 2009/10/25 20:46
I know two Japanese guys called Jun- that is their whole name, not the shortened version. It's basically a unisex name. I personally like Shun better as a name though, and it's the usual pronunciation of that kanji.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Crazy for Jun 2009/10/25 21:07
I like "Jun" better just because the Jun I know happens to be a very handsome Japanese gentleman :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/25 23:43
My friends think I have a somewhat immature ''feminine'' facial characteristics even though I'm already 29 =(, so it wouldn't help and will be quite embarrassing if I start introducing myself with what is perceived as a ''female'' name in Japan...lol.

Guess since Jun is a unisex name, perhaps I can just stick with it for consistency.

Or maybe I'll used Toshi-Kyou?...hmm maybe it doesn't phonetically match well? Guess its down to Shun/Jun. Thanks for the help everyone. =)

mixed readings 2009/10/26 08:00
Toshi-kyou would be a mix of on/kun kanji readings that sounds kind of odd. Shun or Jun would probably be better.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/26 09:38
I don't personally know any guy with the name "Jun," but it IS a male (unisex) name, so it would be fine as it is :)

I agree with Sira that "Toshi-Kyou" would be odd because of the mixed "readings."
If I were in your shoes, I think I would stick with "Jun", that's what you are used to :) or take the Japanese reading of that kanji use "Shun."

. 2009/10/26 10:16
How about Nakura Jun (名倉潤)?
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/30 20:54
Thanks AK and everyone. Yeh I think I'll stick with using "Jun". =)

Be Chinese. 2009/11/1 16:29
My cousin is a medical research professor from Japan (Harvard) and he says for the professional maintaining their own name is very important.And accommodating the Japanese researcher is insignificant versus your ability as a professional, especially for publishing.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

reply to this thread