Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

flea markets from 27/12 2009 to 6/1 2010 2009/10/26 07:15
Hi,
I would like to buy some kimonos, geta and straw hats in a flea market, do you know if from 27/12 to 6/01 I would be able to find some in Kyoto or Tokyo.

thanks

Maxi
by maxipab2000  

... 2009/10/26 21:19
Rarely would you find kimonos and getas at flea markets nowadays. Try Oriental Bazaar on Omotesando.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

second hand clothing stores. 2010/1/19 18:08
There are used shops for kimonos + accessories. I'd research a lot more..
by Mel (guest) rate this post as useful

buying kimono 2010/1/21 00:20
Oriental Bazaar has used & vintage kimono etc that are in great condition, but higher 'shrine sale'.
There are regular monthly (or even more often) sales in the Tokyo area; if you search for the terms shrine sale or antique market you will find out more
In the suburbs, on the 1st of every month there is a nice shrine sale in Machida, and on the 2nd or third Saturday of every month Yamato City (not too far from Yokohama) has a large sale on either side of the train station. Kawagoe has a sale on the 28th of every month. I have never failed to see many kimono & obi at these sales; geta are more unusual but can still be found. Straw hats - that I don't know. I've found prices to be lower at these kind of sales but it is very much a 'buyer beware' kind of market. You have to check carefully for stains and worn spots.
There is also a store in Tokyo called Tansu-ya that has used kimono & accessories. I believe there is a branch near Asakusa's Sensoji.

by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread