Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Immersion Course in Japan 2009/10/26 11:49
I'm currently considering studying Japanese via an immersion course. I've been studying Japanese since 2003 and I think that now would be a good time to consider an immersion course to further refine my abilities.

Should I study via language school in Japan (e.g., Sendai Language School), or should I try a homestay program with a Japanese family?

Also, are there certain procedures and precautions (apart from immigration control documents) that must be observed before I sign up for an immersion course? I heard that these immersion courses can last up to 24 months, so living arrangements and (probably) part-time employment might factor in as well. Much obliged in advance.
by ippatsu  

... 2009/10/26 17:34
I don't know what kind of studies you have done so far (school, private lessons, or self-study), but I recommend structured classroom lessons at some point in your learning, so if you are considering to come to Japan, I suggest attending a full-time school. When they say full-time, that would be about 4 - 5 hours a day of lessond, 5 days a week. Some schools have short-term/intensive courses (depending on your current proficiency of course) from 1 month, 3 months maybe, then one-year, a year and a half, or two years' courses for those who want to prepare themselves to attend a Japanese university later.

If you enrol in a full-time course at one of the accredited schools, you will be eligible for Pre-college student visa, under which you can engage in part-time work up to a certain number of hours/week, though this requires a separate permit from Immigration and requires good attendance and grades :)
by AK rate this post as useful

@AK 2009/10/27 00:46
Thank you for the reply.

I've done mostly self-study, but in my 2nd year, I had 1 year of formal instruction in the form of an e-mail course. Also, for a time (about 2 years) I engaged in correspondence by air mail in Japanese, albeit sporadically since my correspondents were often busy with other things.

How would an accredited school determine which course would be appropriate for me? Much obliged in advance.
by ippatsu rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/28 10:13
I suppose you will need to select a general area (Tokyo, Senda, Osaka, etc.) and look up a few candidate schools in the area - then see what length of courses they have, and ask what levels they might have available. Many schools have one year, a year-and-a-half, up to two years of full-time courses.

It might help if you have general ideas of your level of Japanese proficiency in terms of a textbook you've completed, or the number of kanji you might be familiar with. The school might give you a test/interview eventually :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread