Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese vs. Chinese 2009/10/27 10:39
I am a linguist and have studied a few other languages (Italian, Russian, French, ASL)and want to make up my mind about which language to have as my base third language other than english and spanish.I narrowed it down to Chinese or Japanese.For these reasons:
I have always been a fan of Chinese culture, although recently not so much. I am Cuban with Chinese and Japanese ancestry, and communism doesn't sit so well with me, obviously. I never was interested in Japan or Japanese things, other than talking to my grandmother about them because that's where her family is from.But modern Japanese culture is very attractive to me. Either one would make me feel closer to my heritage; but I get these feelings knowing Japanese makes you more valuable these days. Although Chinese is more prevalent.
Doing what I like most is not an option for me, I'm seeking which will make me more effective. Not interested in business, I know Chinese is important for that. I would like to teach or just work wherever Japanese speaker is needed.Again, as a linguist I'm seeking to learn a new language that will provide me with the most opportunity.
by MoonGaze  

scratching the surface 2009/10/27 12:05
It appears as if you, yourself believe that Chinese will be better for your profession/hobby but in all actuality, what you really want to learn is Japanese. It seems like you have already decided to learn Japanese, but you want us to confirm that it is the right choice for you. I apologize if im wrong, but that is what I got from reading in between the lines of your post.

I see it as this: you need to be happy with the choices you make. I am not sure why it is so obvious why communism sits so wrong with you. It may be due to the fact that American culture has pushed you into the belief that it is evil? When really, there are different types of communism just like Democracy(Mind you that I say this as an independent from America). But if you dislike communism so much, I would think that the only 2 cities you would actually want to visit are Shanghai and Hong Kong. Thus limiting your experience of Chinese culture greatly. It doesnt matter so much that you dont relate to traditional Japan. You love modern Japan, which is where you might visit/live in order to further your career/hobby as a linguist. So I guess it is a bit obvious that I would sway toward Japanese.

After stating my opinion, I have limited knowledge of your profession. I am simply judging your situation at a logical and psychological point of view. I hope I at least helped a little bit. If I didnt scratch the surface, Im sorry! Good luck!
by Jesen rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/28 00:14
I'm not sure how the learning the language can be tied to the type of government.

If you know Russian doesn't make you a Communist (back in the soviet days).

Not to mentioned not all Chinese are communist or believe in it. There are also Taiwanese people and people in Hong Kong that are not fans of it either, then again, what does Government have to do with the language? The Chinese language has been around thousands and thousands of years before Communism was even invented.

Sorry long story short, your post is contradictory in itself and we can't decide for you.

You say Chinese is more prevalent and you say you can't do what you want to do which is Japanese, so your only option in reading your post would be Chinese?
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Haha 2009/10/28 06:23
I am sorry, I guess my post was confusing. Anyway, I guess I am being judgmental towards Chinese because they are communist government. It doesn't sit well with me because, as I stated, I was born in Cuba (the communist Caribbean island dictated by Fidel Castro?). I'm nervous to venture into anywhere that is also communist. Japan is more westernized; according to the media and/or enthusiasts.In learning the language I also want to learn and embrace the culture, at the very least out of respect. And so I do not see myself living or even visiting China. Which is a shame,as I always admired it.Oppose to Japan, I would very much like to visit.Outside of this forum, most people have told me Chinese is more important in culture and language as it is most fascinating historically.More recently I decided maybe studying both. That would surely solve it.
by MoonGaze rate this post as useful

reply to this thread