Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cost of lunch vs Dinner 2009/11/4 12:51
Why do Japanese menu at Dinner cost more than its lunch menu. Are the same items and same quantity? Never had a chance to compare,,,a tempura at a famous Ginza rest cost me Y2625 but lunch, i think would be about Y1000+
by Tokyo Visit (guest)  

lunch vs dinner 2009/11/4 13:50
Why do Japanese menu at Dinner cost more than its lunch menu. Are the same items and same quantity?

Often the lunch menu has smaller portions, however it can also be cheaper, or have a better set items even if the portions are the same. But this isn't unique to Japanese restaurants, and it has been my experience that this is pretty standard restaurant practice all over the world.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

marketing 2009/11/4 22:15
Its all about promotion of food. As the above poster stated; this is the case for most other countries. Restaurants make cheaper prices during lunch so it will attract businessmen and women to eat there. As it is highly unlikely that an average person would purchase lunch every day for 2000+ yen. Its better for a restaurant to sell cheap instead of selling nothing at all.
by Jesen rate this post as useful

--- 2009/11/4 22:45
In Singapore, the lunch is always cheaper than the dinner, though the latter's portion may be slightly larger.

Also, rates for weekends are also higher than weekdays but we are talking the same food!
by starlight (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread