Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i work and go to college in Japan? 2009/11/5 01:42
What type of visa will I need if it's even possible. I live in the United States.
by vegidude13 (guest)  

work and school 2009/11/5 09:51
You can go to school full time and work part time, but it would be very difficult to work full time and go to school part time. Also, as far as visas are concerned, you cannot go to school part time and work part time.

Look into a student visa, which requires that you have a school to sponsor you, and that you can show that you have enough funds or support from home to cover your tuition and living expenses UP FRONT. Then, after going to school for a while, you need to get permission from both the school and immigration to work part time which will be limited to 28 hours a week.

There's more info on visas here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/11/6 01:13
If I have a room mate can I incorporate his funds into my living expenses? Does the type of job that I have matter?
by Poster (guest) rate this post as useful

funds 2009/11/6 07:37
You need to show bank statements I believe, so only if you can borrow your roommate's funds for a while so that they show up on your bank statement. You have to show proof of all the money up front, in advance, so it can't be your roommate's future earnings, for example.

As for the job, you can do anything on a student visa, but it is limited to a certain number of hours and you must attend school full time as well. You also can't start work until you have permission from Immigration.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

you can do it 2009/11/19 07:08
iLm working and going to a japanese school.
But you need a special visa.
Not all school give that visa so be careful and get information about it.
by Hoiko rate this post as useful

. 2009/11/19 10:19
You can work full time and be a student part time on a work visa.

You can go to school full time and work part time with a student visa (with a student visa you need an additional special permission from the school and immigration).

Actually work is limited in hours and the type of work you can do. Legally student visa holders cannot work in say pachinko parlores or bars, or other adult type establishments, however that doesn't prevent them from doing so under the table.

Both cases require a sponsor in Japan, for a work visa you need a job sponsor, for a school visa you need a school to accept you then sponsor your visa. For student visas you need to show funds, your funds or family funds, I don't think friends or roommate funds will help.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread