Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse Visa? How long to wait? 2009/11/7 11:35
Hello everyone. A month and half ago I married my Japanese boyfriend of 4 years. We married in the USA for ease of ceremony (i have too many relatives and family members in the USA to have a wedding in Japan)

And now I am in Japan getting ready to file for my spouse visa. I am here as a tourist for 90 days and can stay until december 28 2009.

There was a screw up on my marriage cert. by the priest who married us in the US (of all people) and we were delayed a full month waiting for our official marriage cert.

In your experience how long does it/did it take to receive your spouse visa after filing?

I hope it will be quick because I really don`t want to waste money traveling back to the US and then back to Japan.
by Rebecca (guest)  

... 2009/11/7 11:54
I assume you applied for a change of status of residence (to spouse status) rather than a spouse visa. If not, please give more specifics about where you applied for what exactly.

In case of my friend, it took an amazing single day for the change of status of residence to be processed, but he changed it from "work" to "spouse". In my own case, it took almost two months if I remember correctly. I applied outside of Japan. I think it rarely takes more than three months.
by Uji rate this post as useful

About 3 weeks 2009/11/7 22:36
My American husband and I got married in Japan and applied for changing his status after getting married. It took only about 3 weeks.
by E (guest) rate this post as useful

visa time 2009/11/8 07:59
My change to spouse status (from a working visa) also took three weeks, which was exactly what the official had told me it would take. I have heard of applications taking longer though, particularly if there are unusual circumstances like the couple not living together.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

3 weeks 2009/11/9 04:11
i got married in japan on my tourist visa. then i applied for change a status. after 3 weeks my status was changed into "spose visa".
if you apply for a change of status,( during your tourist visa) in the immigration office they give you "APPLICATION" stamp in pasport, so you need to be in japan (you cannot leave the country), even if you applied on your last day of tourist visa, and your visa has expired, you are in "waiting" process until you get "spouse visa".
by nana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread