Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

X-Mas gift for university student? 2009/11/7 11:46
My pen pal is a 20 year old university student. We haven't been writing each other for very long, but we already exchange gifts. It is very fun.

She told me she was going to buy me a Christmas present. I plan on buying her a gift as well, but am having a hard time picking one.

So many people have suggested buying a gift that represents my country, state, or city. Her and I have already exchanged many gifts from our area. I would like to buy her something that is especially for her that is in her interests yet something she can't normally get in Japan.

She loves fashion, cosmetics, and music. I would rather not buy her clothing (unless I find something truly stunning) only because of sizes - I'm sure she would be a small, but still I would rather not take the chance of the clothing not fitting properly. As for cosmetics and music, I feel like she could get all that in Japan.

Perhaps you could help me think of something that incorporates all of that yet is something different - something that will really WOW her! Maybe share some links to bizarre online shops, tell about some interesting trinkets, anything is appreciated!

=)

PS: Her and I are just friends, so please nothing romantic.
by JD (guest)  

I'm having the same problem! 2009/11/7 11:56
I have a couple friends in Japan who I talk with a lot and we're such good friends that I always know what to buy them, but I have one pen pal who I have been writing for quite some time this year who I plan to buy a present for, but I'm not sure what. She too like fashion and cosmetics, but I don't just want to buy an outfit for her or anything Dior and the such because she can buy all that already - and she does.

My pen pal often sends me Japanese fashion magazines. Perhaps you could go to a book store and buy her a book on American fashion seeing as how your pen pal seems to like the same stuff mine does? That's what I thought of so far, but there is still plenty of time to figure more ideas out. If all I buy is a book, I definitely want to get another gift too.
by Savyd rate this post as useful

. 2009/11/7 18:55
JD,

If you happen to be living in a Christian country, you should definitely try to get something with Christmas designs as there are much variety in Christian countries than there are in Japan. Sweats would be ideal.

That said, all you have to do is to go to a small shop run by an indivisual owner instead of a large chain-store. An artist's shop would be nice. That way, whatever you buy will be unique, not only to your country but, to that shop.

Ornaments, Christmas music of local minor musicians, anything would be great.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread