Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can Foreigners go to Esthetic Clinics? 2009/11/9 06:55
I just had a quick, random question: can foreigners go to esthetic clinics in Japan and specifically Tokyo? Does anyone have experience with that? If so, what was it like?
Any answers are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
by Sumi (guest)  

.... 2009/11/9 12:03
Finding one where English is understood, let alone spoken, might be difficult. But if you can handle Japanese, it should be no problem.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

este 2009/11/9 13:31
Of course they can. However if you do not speak or read much Japanese, then communication is likely to be an issue unless you go to one of the clinics that markets itself to foreigners or are lucky enough to find one with an English-speaking staff member.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

recommended book 2009/11/9 16:36
There's a book by a gaijin on the Japanese beauty clinic culture called "Beauty Up" where the author, Laura Miller, describes feeling like a hairy giant barbarian compared to the staff serving her. The Japanese beauty industry is apparently the biggest in the world so you will no doubt come across clinics everywhere.
by em (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/11/9 21:46
Thank you for the responses thus far!
I probably should have mentioned in my question that I do speak Japanese. I'm going to Japan soon and have always been interested in these clinics. I just wasn't sure how comfortable they were with serving foreigners since they are mainly marketed to Japanese people.

Also, I've read parts of Beauty Up. It's a really fascinating read and very insightful. Does anyone here have any personal experience going to one of these clinics?
by Sumi (guest) rate this post as useful

este 2009/11/9 22:16
Pretty much everything in Japan is mainly marketed to Japanese people, so este is no different. You won't find such overt racism here that you would be turned away from an esthetic clinic for being a foreigner even though you can speak Japanese.

I have been to an este clinic, yes. I had a facial once and massage another time. I didn't find the experience that different from places I have been in other countries.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmmm... 2009/11/9 23:35
Sira,
I was more curious about how comfortable/ familiar they are working with foreigners. By no means did I intend to imply that they would turn me away in an act of overt racism.
If you don't mind, would you be willing to share more about your experience in regards to the level of service you received and whether or not it was worth the often high prices that they charge at estes? Also, which este did you go to/ are there any you would recommend?

I've been curious about this topic for a long time and haven't really found a discussion about it anywhere else so please excuse me if I'm a bit too forward with my questions.
by Sumi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread