Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Concerning culinary.... 2009/11/10 22:11
Hi there :)
First of all, I apologize if I put this in the wrong section, because while I'm talking about restaurants and such, I'm (mostly) not asking about the food.

I'm researching for food takeouts on Japan, Based from..several manga I read, they also seem to exist in Japan? It's not a boxed bento, more like the "pick a meat dish and two vegetables in your bento from all here" kind of joint.

My question is:
1) What do they called? In kanji or in furigana, so I can try and do some research by myself too
2) Do a lot of them exist? What type of place are they? What class do these places usually are?

also, is applying for culinary apprenticeship (or apprenticeship in general) or simply parttiming harder for foreigners in Japan? Does there any special qualification required?

by Trifle (guest)  

Demae 2009/11/11 09:01
It's called "demae". Nowadays, you can get anything from sushi to pizza delivered to your home.

Can't answer your question about apprenticeship, but you'd be expected to smoothly interact with colleagues and customers. So that means knowledge of keigo and everyday customs.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/11/11 10:03
I'm researching for food takeouts on Japan, Based from..several manga I read, they also seem to exist in Japan? It's not a boxed bento, more like the ''pick a meat dish and two vegetables in your bento from all here'' kind of joint.

My question is:
1) What do they called? In kanji or in furigana, so I can try and do some research by myself too

Do you mean deli(delicatessen)? If so, it is called ''souzai-ya''. Many ''bentou-ya'' offer souzai (various dishes to go with rice).

''Demae'' mentioned by Kato means delivery service. There had been demae of noodles (Japanese soba/udon, ramen) or sushi long before pizza was introduced to Japan.

2) Do a lot of them exist? What type of place are they? What class do these places usually are?

If it is souzai-ya/bento-ya, they are usually found in residential area, and sometimes near office buildings because they are popular for lunch.
by magonote rate this post as useful

regarding apprenticeships 2009/11/11 10:11
also, is applying for culinary apprenticeship (or apprenticeship in general) or simply parttiming harder for foreigners in Japan? Does there any special qualification required?

Yes, specifically you will need a visa that allows you to stay in the country and do these types of jobs. A work visa only covers full time paid jobs, so you would either have to be on a dependant, spouse, or student visa to qualify. I'm not sure but certain apprenticeships may be allowed on culture visas.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

okazuya 2009/11/11 10:57
I think it's called okazuya. Original Bento is a chain okazuya. It's always looking for part-timers.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

A lot of intormation! 2009/11/11 20:30
Wow, thanks a lot for all answers here!

Okazuya is probably the one I'm looking for, however I've also never heard of souzai-ya..
Is there any difference in both establishment?
(so far, my google-fu directs me all to Hawaiian okazuya...interesting :D)

Also, concerning apprenticeship / parttiming, I'm glad to know that part-time job is available. XD Would there be lots of cultural stigma or backlash in recruiting foreigners?
by Trifle (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread