Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching English as a non native 2009/11/12 03:59
Hi, I was wondering if I could teach English in Japan, even if I am not a native speaker but have an English language university degree with a qualification for teaching.
Thanks
by Kristiepn  

Maybe 2009/11/12 09:52
It's possible, but it won't be easy. Competition for English teaching jobs is a lot tougher than it used to be though, so you might have to be very persistent. It is also much harder than it used to be to get jobs from outside Japan, so it would help if you can come here and interview in person.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

should be ok 2009/11/12 18:18
all the other AET's in my small town (3 of them) are non-native english teachers, and they have been teaching English in Japan for a long time. so it is definately possible. but, like the previous posted said, it could be a bit more difficult at the present moment due to the economy! but good luck!
by julie (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/11/12 19:58
Thank you very much for your answers, I am always discouraged when I read the ads, they are almost always for natives. I won't give up. In addition, I started to learn Japanese a year ago, maybe it will help me to find a job. I plan to go to Japan in a few years time.
Thanks again for your replies!!
by Kristiepn rate this post as useful

DON'T BE DISCOURAGED BUT BE PROUD... 2009/11/12 20:35
One of my job is to visit Japan, Korea and China, and visit their medical school - and while I am their I stop-in in the university English language class & watch & listen to the native English instructor - I give them a grade of C-. Another words most of English instructors truly is not QUALIFIED to teach, but they were hired because they met the minimum qualifications... I strongly recommend you get a minimum of 2 to 3 years of teaching experience before seeking a teaching job in Japan. Even in the roughest time those that are qualified and unyielding can find a job. Also there are many other countries that hire English teacher,... Your English language degree itself tells me you are truly sincere about teaching, so believe in yourself and stay strong.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

reply to this thread