Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working Holiday Visa 2009/11/18 06:24
Hey all. Just wondering, I'm from Australia and eligible for a working holiday visa to Japan (as in, spend up to one year travelling and working around Japan).

However, I'm always hearing how difficult it is to obtain jobs in Japan. So is this visa (in terms of those going to Japan) for people who don't need a job to survive their year there?

In terms of a working holiday visa, is it possible to get a job arranged before you go? Any help would be great :)
by xTrentx  

Me Also 2009/11/30 12:23
Hi There, I am also from Australia & am searching foranswers to the axact same question. TREX try this website as i found it informative http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/dailyliving/employment/findingemploymen...

Best of luck
by Sambodorenstine (guest) rate this post as useful

my 2 cents 2009/11/30 19:27
When it comes to the working holiday visa your not supposed to have work lined up in Japan before you go. So if you do manage to find a job before going dont tell the embassy staff.
If you go to the working holiday centers in Japan they will have job search sevices.I was 18 when i did my working holiday in Japan and because of my age i couldnt get a teaching job so i ended up working on ski field in the winter and the rest of the year in a ryokan.
by LB (guest) rate this post as useful

WHV 2009/12/1 08:13
I first came to Japan on a WHV, and I had work lined up before I went, and I put that on my form- provided you tell them it is only short term, they seem quite happy about that. In fact if you don't have some clues about what you will do to earn money they may ask you how you are planning to support yourself while in Japan.

If you are under 20 and have not done any tertiary study, it will be tough for you to get an English teaching job, although you may be able to line up some private students.

If you are over 20 and have at least part of a degree finished, then it will be easier, but not as easy as it was even 5 years ago- the market for English teaching jobs is much tighter now.

You are not really supposed to do bar work on a WHV but I'm guessing that some people do. There are some jobs in restaurants and resorts.

Lining up a job before you go sounds like a very good idea-although Japan is not as expensive as many people think, it can still be a tough place to survive for long without a regular income.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread