Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to divorce in Japan 2009/11/18 14:49
Hello,
I want to divorce my Japanese husband and I dont know the procedures. As I don't speak Japanese, I can't call the shiyakusho either.
Some people write that you only need to sign a paper, but other webs say that as a foreigner I also need two other papers:
1. gaikokujin toroku genpyo kisai jiko shomeisho
2. kon-in todoke juri shomeisho
Is this information true? If so, where can I get the documents nr. 1 and 2? Does it take a long time?
I have to say that I am afraid of a violent reaction from my husband, so I was wondering if I could just leave for my country and do all this per post (if he cooperates...). I have a plain ticket for Christmas, so I was wondering if I still had time to get all the documents and submit them.

Thanks in advance.
by myself (guest)  

Go to the city office 2009/11/19 14:21
Most city offices have information and legal advice services for foreigners in English and sometimes other languages on certain days and times.

The forms you need can be obtained easily and quickly (should take less than 10 minutes) from the city office, as you might expect- one is a paper version of the information on the alien registration card and the other is like a simple marriage certificate.

They tend to cost around 300 yen each.

by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/11/19 14:24
You should consult your embassy right away.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/11/19 14:27
Thanks a lot, that was very useful.
I had asked the embassy and they can help me with the procedures back in my home country, but not in Japan.
by myself (guest) rate this post as useful

Another question 2009/11/19 14:34
I was thinking if those documents have an expiry date? Could I collect them now and use them later?
Thanks in advance.

depends 2009/11/19 15:18
They don't have an expiry date themselves, but for legal processes in Japan some documents need to have been issued no more than 3 or sometimes 6 months before- it depends on the situation.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

divorce 2009/11/19 15:22
Assuming that your husband is cooperative then he can file the mutual divorce "kyogi rikon" papers without you being present assuming that they are properly signed and sealed by both of you. So you could theoretically send them to him while abroad and have him turn in the paperwork.

In the case that he is not cooperative you will both need to make an appearance in family court to seek divorce.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

divorce decree 2009/11/20 11:33
Thanks a lot everybody, you all are being really helpful.
Here is a question about the next step:
My embassy tells me I would have to get a "divorce decree" and get it translated for submission in my country.
Does anyone know if I can get this by myself, supposing my husband cooperates and I get divorced in Japan? Do I need his cooperation for this too?
Where do I get it?
Can it be made per post?
I am trying to avoid to come back to Japan from the other side of the world.
Thanx!

U R Citizen Of? 2009/11/20 17:57
I am surmising you as an US citizen,... an article from US Embassy,.. regarding divorcing in Japan..

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7117.html
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

Dessertion punishable? 2009/12/7 10:42
Hello again, thanks for the link to the US Embassy.
I was wondering if I could get legally prosecuted for abandoning my home? Could I get into legal trouble for this?
I think my husband can get divorced without my signature in case I desert our home, but otherwise I don't know any legal consequences of my (future) action.

Thanks a lot.
by Myself (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread