Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do Japanese people view pets? 2009/11/26 12:21
What is the etiquette? I want to import my both of my dogs and my cat, is this possible? Can they live with me? Will I be viewed as strange or unclean?
by ranestorm  

. 2009/11/26 13:25
Are you currently living in Japan?
Pets are common in Japan, there's nothing to worry about it culturally.

However, there are very important two points to consider:

(1) Where to live
Many apartments do not allow pets.
First you have to secure the place where you can live your pets.

(2) Quarantine
You need to make arrangements to import your pets into Japan.
If necessary arrangements are not made well in time, your pets will have to stay up to 180 days at the airport/sea port, which will be an ordeal both to your pets and yourself.

Detailed information at Animal Quarantine Service of Japna.
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/index.html
Animal Quarantine Service
Quarantine for Dogds & Cats
by magonote rate this post as useful

Intent to reside or visit Japan? 2009/11/26 14:25
Japanese love animals. Well behaved & mannered,..much as us American love them.

You must do an additional investigating regarding where in Japan, i.e., Tokyo, Kyoto or other area of Japan,.. also the nearest 'dog park' are,..

Link will answer most or all your questions.
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/qanda/dogcata.html
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

pets 2009/11/26 14:33
Cats are easier to import. I am not sure why.
Both cats and dogs must be microchipped and have a recent complete exam showing good health with no disease and complete vaccines. I have a precious cat. I think Japanese love their pets very much. My cat is so precious. Sometime maybe my husband and I will get a pet dog. For now we live in a small apartment so a cat fits better.
by umikohime rate this post as useful

extra deposit. restrictions 2009/11/26 15:32
I would say that the majority of landlords do not allow pets. Those that do often place a restriction on numbers (i.e. only one animal allowed) and size (only small dogs), and they usually ask for 4 months' rent as a deposit instead of the usual 1 or 2.

In other words, it is going to be quite difficult and costly for you to find a place to live with all your pets, so be prepared for that.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

etiquette 2009/11/26 16:39
One of the etiquettes in owning a dog is picking up after it on dog walks. No leaving poo anywhere you go on your walks.

There are pet stores galore (in Tokyo) and you'll find many of the products from back home stocked in the stores.
by Jou (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread