Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Appropriate Clothing 2009/11/27 11:26
I had a quick question about clothing. The contracts says "classroom, teachers should wear business attire. For men, this means pants and a
collared shirt with a necktie. For women, skirt/trousers with a blouse/shirt. No jeans or shorts. For the
first day of school or special ceremonies, formal wear is expected."

For women, does a blouse have to button all the way up to the neck, can I wear a blazer, or sweater over it, and does it matter what color it is? Also, if I wear a skirt what is an appropriate lenght, and should I wear panty hose? What about footwear? Heels? Flats? or something else.

And what would be an example of appropriate formal wear?

Thanks!
by Breanna (guest)  

clothing 2009/11/27 12:01
You don't have to button the shirt all the way up. Yes, you can wear a blazer. Any colour is fine, provided it's not too garish. For skirt length, use your own judgement- obviously not too far above the knee. It's usually better to wear pantyhose, although this varies with the employer- some don't insist on it. You will probably be doing a lot of walking, and very high heels are obviously not appropriate in a school situation. Low heels are probably ok. Formal wear would be a suit, i.e. skirt or pants with matching jacket.

I have an idea this topic has been discussed at length before here, so try a search as well.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Appropriate clothings 2009/11/27 13:19
Every day dress as you were working for a bank you will always be dressed proper - conservatively dressed.

Business attire for women - it suggests that women opt for more tailored dressy suits and dresses (nothing slinky or sexy).

Appropriate formal wear - black or gray; Blouse - button to the top always; Colors coordinated; Matching sweater or blazer is fine; Knee length always; Shoes - flats.

by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

uwabaki 2009/11/27 22:28
Breanna,

Keep in mind that at most ''schools'' in Japan you need to change your shoes as you enter the building.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread