Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are pink and purple coats okay for boys? 2009/11/27 13:21
We will be going to Japan as a family in Dec for a week. I have 2 hand me down coats for my 4yr old son- 1 pink & 1 purple (used to be his elder sister's). Are those acceptable colours for little boys to wear? I am trying to be a little frugal because we have to get new coats for our 6yr old daughter just to be worn for a handful of times. We live in Singapore and coats get no wear here.
by Anna (guest)  

. 2009/11/27 14:05
As your boy is still 4 yrs old, I do not think it is really a problem - just he might be mistaken for a girl because of the coat but that's all.
by magonote rate this post as useful

it's up to you 2009/11/27 14:21
The perception of a boy in a pink coat would be the same as that of a boy in a pink T-shirt or trousers or shoes in your own country. It's considered a girl's colour, so as above people may assume he is a girl at first. Then they will wonder why a boy is dressed in pink, but that's about all. He is probably too young to be concerned himself, so if you don't mind dressing your son in pink, then it's not a problem.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

No Problem 2009/11/27 16:29
I teach at a kindergarten here and little boys here wear all kinds of colorful jackets, including pink and purple as well as glitter and ruffles. SO I dont think it will be a problem at all,

In fact while you are here it is quite possible that you will see grown men wearing the same colors and other clothing that looks very feminine in cut not just color.
by Mimi (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/11/27 22:24
Well, my parents used to dress me up in boyish clothes and hair-du when I was four, and I hated it. But I used to put on a red raincoat on my boy when he was two, and Cinderella at Tokyo Disneyland said, "What a cute BOY!" so that was that. I guess it's up to your boy.
by Uco, Japanese mom (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/11/29 13:58
Good to know that it wouldn't be seen as strange. He will be wearing them. He would rather me save that money to buy him toys.
by Anna (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/12/1 12:14
Of course noone will mind or care your little boys wearing pink or purple for goodness sake i see GROWN men wearing pink clothes and carrying handbags in this country and noone bats an eyelid!
by Uhm.. (guest) rate this post as useful

My first thought .... 2009/12/1 13:53
My first thought was that those colours might ruin your boy's street cred and put him at a disadvantage when trying to pick up any good looking lasses but after second thoughts he would probably look very fashionable in Harajuku or Shibuya.

What I'd say is don't worry about the colour, nobody else will. Your boy will be fine, just have a great time!
by John153 (guest) rate this post as useful

clothes for men and boys 2009/12/1 14:18
Men have been wearing bright colours for several thousand of years. It is only from the Victorian times to the late 1950s that dark grey, dark blue, black. became the norm.
Colour came back as fashionable for men in the 1960s...along with long hair .
British and Euro businessmen are more colourful than Americans...
as far as "hand bags" for men... I have yet to see men wearing true hand bags, like the ones Queen Elizabeth and older women wear...But men have been carrying bags for thousand of years..... soldiers, hunters, messengers, tradesmen, lawyers, doctors etc. etc. ALL had a job specific type of bag. .

A purse was originally a small bag for coins
(banknotes are a relatively recent invention) that men attached at the belt as many clothes, including pants, had no pockets.

back to the 4 years old boy of the OP:
my father wore his hair long and wore a dress to the knees until he turned 6 and went to the public school. This was the uniform for boys and girls in his days.(he was born during WWI) ..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

well you do know that 2009/12/1 18:57
KAZUYA MISHIMA WEARS A PIMP PURPLE TUXEDO COAT IN TEKKEN 6.

so i say purple coats are fine for boys.

pink is a no go though, kazuya will never wear a pink coat.
by coolstorybro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread