Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When is it best to get a woking visa? 2009/12/1 05:59
Can I live in Japan on a tourist visa and then get a job and a work visa?

I really want to move to Japan but I donft want to be a teacher, and I really donft want to work with computers either.
Can someone help me out and help me figure out what I might want to do?
Ifd be quite grateful.
by yuikai123  

Steps to working visa 2009/12/1 11:44
yuikai123,

Yes, provided you have a university degree.

I really want to move to Japan but I donft want to be a teacher, and I really donft want to work with computers either.

So long as you realize that that will greatly limit your options. What qualifications and expertise do you have?

by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

work visa 2009/12/1 11:51

You will have to finish college first to qualify for a work visa, and since you're from the US you could come to Japan after you graduate for 3 months on a tourist visa and you could use that time to look for a job. If you are successful in finding one you could apply for a change in status of residence to change from a temporary visitor to a work visa. Be aware that the process can take up to 3 months and you are not allowed to work until your work visa starts.

Can someone help me out and help me figure out what I might want to do?

Teaching jobs are probably the easiest jobs to find. But without any direction there's not much advice we can give you. Basically you can't do menial jobs like washing dishes or working as a waitress or cashier as you will need to have a skill that makes you a desirable hire. You may want to consider teaching jobs to become established and then work towards something else.

Really though, since you haven't visited Japan yet you should come and travel around for a few weeks to get an idea of the country and see if it really is a place that you want to live. You may find that its not what you expect.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

qualifications and expertise 2009/12/2 04:00
I don't have any, other then being able to read, right and speak Japanese.

I don't have a degree in anything. I just have a highschool diploma.

Can i still do anything?...You think?
by yuikai123 rate this post as useful

Take Advise To Heart 2009/12/2 06:54
Respondents to your post have given you a solid advise. Somehow you are ignoring their kind advise. So, let me explain the reality of going to Japan in a different ways.

-Japan has about 1/2 of the population of U.S
-Japan is 1/25th the size of U.S.
-Imagine 126,000,000 people living in the State of Texas.
-Imagine how many high school graduates will be looking for a job, that pays about same minimum wage as in U.S.
-Imagine you in Japan with very limited connections in Japan,... not able to comprehend Japanese language or the culture..
-Foreign women that can't get a normal jobs will be preyed by the criminal elements, or if you are lucky as a maid.
-Japanese aren't sympathetic to homeless. Most Japanese are struggling themselves.

-Alternatively, you can start by enrolling in the community college to better your chance of going to Japan, and graduate with a college degree. Not A.A. but Bachelor Degree.
-With a simple 4 years degree you can go to Japan as a tourist and look/find a job to qualify for a worker visa.
-But don't think people in Japan work only 40 hours per week,.. more than 60 hours is the average work hours.
-Or while attending a college you can apply for a student exchange and study in Japan for a year.

For ever person living in this world there are STEPS that must be taken to reach their destination. Are you willing to take thise steps?

At this time Japan is not for you. Someday, yes.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

FAQ 2009/12/2 07:52
yuikai123,

I don't have a degree in anything. I just have a highschool diploma.
Can i still do anything?...You think?

Visit Japan as a tourist and soak up the culture, come to study as a student, or go to university and get a degree first. That's about all.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

not qualified for working visa 2009/12/2 08:19
You don't give your nationality, but unless you are from a country with a working holiday agreement with Japan (the US is not one of them), then you do not fulfill the requirements (either a university degree or considerable experience in a field where foreigners are needed to fill jobs) for a working visa.

You could either come as a student (you would need to be accepted to a school and show you have the funds to support yourself, or just come as a tourist. It depends on your nationality, but you will probably get 90 days.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

I think I got it... 2009/12/2 09:38
So what youfre saying is that I can go to Japan as a tourist and find a part time job then I could get a working visa?c Or am I getting it wrong?

You miss the most important part 2009/12/2 11:42
No, they didn't simply say you could come to japan as a tourist and then apply for working visa.

If you are from the countries that have agreement with Japan on working holiday visa (such as Australia, Canada ...) , you have a chance to apply. If you are from the US, this is Not your option.

If you come from the country that doesn't have agreement with Japan on working holiday visa, you are required to have degree or some years experience of working of some field to apply for working visa. Having just highschool diploma and less experience of working doens't allow you to apply for working visa, I have to say.

I think you should come to Japan as a tourist and experience the culture first. If you still like here, then you should get a degree and they apply for working visa.

by J woman (guest) rate this post as useful

not qualified for working visa 2009/12/2 17:59
People are suggesting that you come over as a tourist, just so you can experience Japan, not as a step to a working visa. As stated above, without a degree or the necessary work experience, there is no way for you to get a working visa, so coming here as a tourist and then looking for work is not an option.

Not really relevant to your situation, but working visas are not issued for part time jobs in any case.

So basically this: 2009/12/3 00:35
So basically if you really want to move to Japan and work there you need to do some things.

1. Know the culture and customs. This can be achieved by visiting Japan as a tourist. Some parts can be learnt from books etc.
2. Learn the language (if you already haven't).
3a. Get a college degree (Bachelor) in something.
OR
3b. Get a steady job for some years.
4. Find a job in Japan that's willing to sponsor your Visa.
5. Apply for the Visa. To be eligible you need either or both of 3a or 3b.

That's how it's best to be done.
by Kalle (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks *^o^* 2009/12/3 04:24
Thank you Kalle (guest) for your strait forward way of putting it.

One last question...I know everyone must be tired of my ignorance and stupidity towards visas and what not, but can I get a simple part time job (Like at a convenience store, a restaurant or clothing store)on a tourist visa just for a little extra money while I'm there or is that a no no.

Working as a tourist is a crime. 2009/12/3 06:25
If you work on a tourist visa, you are breaking Japan's immigration law, which makes you a criminal and subject to arrest, detention, trial (sort of), deportation, and years of ban on entry into Japan. Japan's legal system is not as ''kind'' to violators of the laws as the United States, and the so-called due process is quite limited. You will be treated quite severely. I urge you to forget about ''working'' in Japan unless you have a legal authorization (a proper work visa or a spousal visa) from the Japanese immigration. Also you should keep in mind that you will not get a work visa for casual/unskilled labor (including retail, convenience store, constructions, etc) even if you had a college degree or years of experience in those job categories. What I told you above really applies to most other countries, including the United States. For specific information, you should consult the Japanese Foreign Ministry homepage. Google it, and you will find it easily.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

very risky 2009/12/3 08:10
I second the above. No, Japan is not a country that overlooks working illegally. No reputable employer will risk hiring an illegal, and why would they take that risk when there are plenty of Japanese people looking for jobs right now? (unemployment is currently very high).

If caught, you would face detention of up to several weeks, as well as fines, before being put on a plane (possibly in shackles), and banning from Japan of up to 10 years, which could also affect your possibilities of travel to other countries.

Absolutely not worth it.

Hi 2009/12/3 10:57
I saw you live in Tx, US. I have relatives there! I must say please do not try to work illegally in Japan as you could be banned from coming back to Japan for a long time. If you have good Japanese skills and English skills you might be able to study language and work part time after a waiting time period. Maybe you could work pt time as a nanny for a bi-cultural or diplomatic family who could sponsor you? I am not sure how that would work. You mention you can read and write Japanese. Don't let anyone discourage your dream. You may have to work for it though.
by umikohime rate this post as useful

No work as a tourist 2009/12/4 09:01
You really shouldn't try to work with a tourist visa as if you get caught it's not going to be pretty.

One possible way to see if you'd really like to work in Japan could be to get some company to have sponsor you a little sightseeing tour in their Japan office. The problem with this is that this requires you to get employed by that company. Or find some other way they will just throw you a lot of money.

I'm not sure about the legality of this thing. I guess that if you don't work and you don't get paid a wage then it might be OK. At least I wasn't thrown out when I was on such a tour once.

Nevertheless I suggest you to visit Japan to see what it looks like there. You can live quite cheaply, though the lodgings will be somewhat costly. You can get cheap food in for example tonburi shops or Shakey's Pizza (lunch; eat enough you don't need to eat the next day :D). Couch surfing could be a way to solve the lodging problem, but that might not be the safest way. Then again, what is.
by Kalle (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread