Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Rice Cooker to buy? 2009/12/2 23:21
Hi all,
So I was thinking of purchasing a rice cooker here in Japan but Im not sure which is the best to get. I want one that is less than 8,000 yen, will work with different types of rice, can keep rice warm for more than an hour, and is an over all reliable/durable product. Ive basically narrowed my search down to the Sanyo ECJ-KS30, Zojirushi NS-UA05 GA, and Sharp KS-FA10 but Im not sure which one is best. Ive seen some other relatively cheap products such as Neove NM-RA06 and the Tiger JAU-G550-WU but the reviews Ive found for these two were scarce and not that great. If anyone could give me some suggestions on any of those above or on another model I would really appreciate it.
Im also plan on buying an adapter and using this guy back in the states so a reliability is key.
Thanks again!
by L (guest)  

rice cooker 2009/12/3 12:49
I want one that is less than 8,000 yen, will work with different types of rice, can keep rice warm for more than an hour, and is an over all reliable/durable product.

Any of the name brand models in this price point should have all the features you require. Just be aware that they will not come with english instructions so you may need some Japanese ability to access some of the features.

Ive basically narrowed my search down to the Sanyo ECJ-KS30, Zojirushi NS-UA05 GA, and Sharp KS-FA10 but Im not sure which one is best.

I just purchased a new rice cooker myself and from what I learned from the store is that while each brand has something that they specialize in a little that may concern you if you have specific needs (for example making rice for bento, keeping rice for long periods, etc.), they are otherwise generally the same. Especailly at the low end (under 10000 yen) there will be very little difference in the models besides aesthetics.

Im also plan on buying an adapter and using this guy back in the states so a reliability is key.

An adapter is not necessary to use in the US.

FYI, Right now is a good time to shop for a rice cooker as the new models recently came out so the older models are heavily discounted. The one we ended up getting was nearly 50% off.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Keep in mind 2009/12/3 13:34
Rice cooker made for Japan will initially work in U.S. but will burn out. Last one I bought back for mom - cooked fine - suddenly over heated, and ,,,, mom went back using her old cooker.
http://www.japan-i.jp/whatsjapan/commodities/d8jk7l0000045mx2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-643365.html
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

burn out 2009/12/3 16:56
Thats a good point that you risk burning it out quicker as the heating element is made for 100v vs 110v found in the US. In that case use it with a stepdown converter like the ones here (make sure to get one that matches the maximum wattage of your rice cooker or you'll risk burning out both the cooker and the converter):

http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltage_converters.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread