Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sumo - Autograph? 2009/12/5 08:59
Is getting an autograph from a sumo wrestler possible? It would be at Tokyo's Kokugikan. I was thinking when the wrestler was entering the stadium would be the best time, but I don't think there is enough time. I would probably need a place to sign like a table or another hard surface. Any suggestions for the best time and place from inside?
by Joe (guest)  

... 2009/12/5 11:01
At the gate outside the stadium, where the higher ranked wrestlers arrive by taxi (lower ranked walk, while the ozeki and yokozuna enter through a different entrance not accessible to the public), it is not possible. There are too many people, and security people keep the way clear for the wrestlers.

But between the gate and the stadium (outside the stadium, but inside the paid area, where you need to have a ticket), there are usually not many people and you could give it a try. I have never seen anybody doing it and I don't recommend it when they are arriving, because the wrestlers might not want to be bothered ahead of a bout. I would rather give it a try when they are departing after the bout is over.

The best opportunity, in my opinion, is when wrestlers go on oversea tournaments. Then you can catch them at their hotels in a very relaxed atmosphere. It was at that time (back when they went to the Canada Basho in 1998), when I was able to get not only autographs but also two-shot photos with almost all high ranked wrestlers including yokozuna.
by Uji rate this post as useful

- 2009/12/5 11:39
So after the bout would be the best time.
But what if the player loses and is in a bad mood? I remember seeing Baruto 1-2 years ago, I think in Nagoya, hitting the wall with his fist. When I went to see sumo in Fukuoka last year, the back stage area was very spacious, but I don't think they could be stopped for a photo or autograph.

I will be living in Japan again in 2010.
So I was thinking if I could send my picture to the beya and having them send it back.

I could always take a chance and wait outside after the bout.

by Joe (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2009/12/5 11:43
Also, I wanted to know if I can ask by saying:
"サインを頂いてもいいですか" instead of

Can I have your autograph?
サインを頂けますか?

I think the first one is more polite and more natural for me to say.

- 2009/12/5 12:47
It may take more than once. So if it happens and it doesn't, it won't matter because I will be there to see sumo anyway. What about the provincal tours (巡業) like Yokohama? I've never been to one, so it may be easier.

reply to this thread