Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to surrender my Alien Card? 2009/12/11 04:42
I left japan last year without knowing that I will no longer return back. My visa is still until 2011 but i have no plans of going back there again. Where can i surrender my alien card? I am planning to apply for lump sum but one of the requirements is the page of passport with stamp from immigration that you have surrendered your alien card. Does anyone know?
by ladymare27  

Tried the embassy? 2009/12/11 09:20
You would have needed to surrender it at Immigration on leaving Japan, that is the only way you could have a stamp from Immigration. Outside Japan, it seems like the only option you have is your nearest Japanese embassy or consulate- have you asked them?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

alien registration card 2009/12/11 11:34
Since your visa was valid until 2011 you would not have to surrender your ARC to receive an exit stamp at immigration. They would have just assumed that you may come back on the same visa, and they don't necessarily check to see if you have a reentry permit. Actually I wonder if immigration ever asks anyone to surrender their card considering that you could theoretically come back up to the very last day that it is valid, which often doesn't coincide with your visa expiration.

Also, I've heard of other people receiving their pension refunds without having returned their card. But if trying this out makes you nervous then I'd go with Sira's advice and contact your nearest embassy.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Consulate Office 2009/12/11 12:07

This office serve the State of Michigan & Illinois. Call ahead to advise that you will mail them the Alien Card. Send it registered mail w/your letter asking for a written receipt on the Consulate letter head. Attached the Consulate letter with your letter of request for pension.

Consulate General of Japan in Detroit
400 Renaissance Center, Suite 1600 Detroit, Michigan, 48243 U.S.A.
Tel: (313) 567-0120 Fax: (313) 567-0274
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm
Consular Services: Monday through Friday
from 9:15am to 11:30am and 1:15pm to 4:30pm
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/12/11 13:26
Thank you guys. I will try to call the Japan Consulate in Detroit tomorrow.
by ladymare27 rate this post as useful

they do ask for cards 2009/12/11 15:08
When I mentioned the stamp from Immigration, I meant a "visa cancelled" stamp rather than an exit stamp, since presumably that's what ladymare27 needs to get the refund.

I went back to NZ for Christmas a few times with less than a month on my visa and was asked if I was leaving permanently at Immigration- I am assuming that if I had said yes, they would have asked for my ARC and cancelled my visa. I know people who have left Japan close to the end of their visas and have had to surrender their cards- some of them were annoyed because they wanted them as souvenirs!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

arc 2009/12/11 16:00
When I mentioned the stamp from Immigration, I meant a "visa cancelled" stamp rather than an exit stamp, since presumably that's what ladymare27 needs to get the refund.

Yes, the cancellation stamp is quite different from the exit stamp and I understand what you were talking about now. Sorry, I overlooked that part and the OP should definitely get that if she intends to apply for the lump sum withdrawal.

I went back to NZ for Christmas a few times with less than a month on my visa and was asked if I was leaving permanently at Immigration- I am assuming that if I had said yes, they would have asked for my ARC and cancelled my visa. I know people who have left Japan close to the end of their visas and have had to surrender their cards- some of them were annoyed because they wanted them as souvenirs!

Interesting, as I had the opposite experience. I was leaving at the conclusion of one visa (with about a month left on the visa), and had to tell them to cancel the visa. Also they didn't ask for the card (which was valid for 2 more years) but I gave it to them anyway. Maybe it just depends on the situation but I had heard of others with similar experiences.

I think the main question is whether or not cancelling a visa will invalidate an ARC and I suspect not as they are managed by different authorities. I guess we'll see how that changes with the new government's plans to overhaul the ARC system. Anyway, sorry to get sidetracked again.

Ladymare27,

Have you appointed a tax representative to receive the tax portion of your pension refund? If you're not aware of the procedure this site has good info on how its done and has copies of the forms you'll need to download:

http://www.gunmajet.net/node/614
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread