Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Giving Gifts to a Japanese family 2009/12/11 08:19
My family will be meeting a Japanese family.

My Japanese friend is a male, married with 2 kids. My family has met him and his wife when we visited them some years ago.

This time, we have bought some gifts for the family.

May I ask, should I present the gifts to my Japanese friend (male) or his wife? Or should I ask my husband to present the gifts to my friend or his wife?

Also, when is the suitable time to present the gifts? My Japanese friend will meet us (my family of 3) at a train station before going to his house, where we will have a dinner together.

Thanking you in advance
by starlight (guest)  

... 2009/12/11 14:49
You can present either to your friend or his wife, because all of you have known each other already. If you must choose which one, it@would be safer that from you to your friend.

As for the suitable time to present, it's better you wait until you arrive at his house to avoid annoying him with carrying several pieces of luggage for a long time. But this is my opinion, if you and your friend don't care such a little thing, you can present them whenever you like.
by Yoshi (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/12/11 16:44
- I agree with the above poster, you should give the gift to your friend, because that's where the whole family friendship started from, UNLESS there was something that you chose particularly for the wife, for example, that you wanted to present it to her directly saying "this is for YOU."

- I also agree withe above poster about the timing - also because at their house they can open the gifts at their leisure, rather than hastily saying thank you! at the station and only carrying them without being able to open them.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread