Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

cartoon characters on Public Notices 2009/12/12 15:35
does anyone know the origin of the use of cartoon characters in Public Notices in Japan! on a recent visit i found myself collecting photos of them!
Ann
by ann (guest)  

... 2009/12/13 01:06
I don't know exact. However, Tokyo police's mascot called Pipo-kun had debuted in 1987. (Some persons said Japan Postfs mascot squirrel was the first but it was not cartoon and I couldnft find it because it had retired.)

Official website of Pipo-kun of Tokyo Police for children
http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/sikumi/pipo/pipo.htm

by ppk (guest) rate this post as useful

cartoons 2009/12/13 04:34
the French post office use (used?) a squirrel too and likely for the same reasons: both are also banks, with savings accounts, and squirrels are known to save for the future. We even say of someone "he squirrel away his money "
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

squirrel as a verb 2009/12/14 08:17
So, Monkey See, you have the exact same expression in French as we do in English? That's interesting.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

cartoon characters on Public Notices 2009/12/14 17:35
thanks for you replies. i was actually referring to signs using pictures instead of words to alert people to laws or dangers! eg no swimming, no fishing, watch for falling rocks, take your rubbish with you...all of these messages were represented pictorially. found a u-tube item which suggested mascots were used by police, post, tech companies when advertising products etc as they created a lower level of intimidation and were more likely to facilitate conversation. maybe that applies to my pictures!!
by ann (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread