Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

170000 yen monthly salary 2009/12/14 02:55
i wonder this salary enough to cover up the expenses... especially my room rental,, i will be working in a restaurant in okayama ,japan.. anyone can hel me to give any details how much the rental is??? is 170000 is enough to survive???
by jbl1013  

Survival 2009/12/14 08:32
If your goal is to simply survive, I'm sure it could be done. Of course, you'll most likely have almost nothing left to save, barely any money to spend for fun/recreation/social life, you'll be in big trouble if some unexpected expenses come up (medical bills, etc.)

But if you're not worried about that kind of stuff, I'm sure it could be done, especially in a more rural area like Okayama.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

170.000 Yen ... 2009/12/14 09:05
.... should be no big problem if:

you are single
live in a small apartment (soemthing like a 1DK)
do the cooking yourself
don't go out every evening

But as it was mentioned already, you will not be able to save lots of money.
by kulachan rate this post as useful

Be Smart & Frugal... 2009/12/14 10:46
Single person only need a place to sleep - look for a room to share closest to the restaurant.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/10 10:42
Many Japanese people live off this salary when getting out of JR college, etc.

Assuming your job pays for your commute, you can live normally on 100,000/month without any real sacrifices.

Rent - 50,000
Utilities - 15,000
Groceries - 30,000
Mobile phone - 8,000
Internet/phone/TV - 9,000
Misc. goods - 5,000

That still gives you the ability to save 20,000 yen/month and go out every once and a while. You just have to be disciplined and be aware of your expenditures.

The biggest thing will be to keep rent down. If you don't like the idea of sharing (I can't do it), then be willing to commute.
For example with Tokyo, working in the city but living in areas like Funabashi, you have a 1 hour commute but can get apartments for very cheap (less than $500 month).

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/10 10:44
JR refers to Junior college, not Japan Railways :-)
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

can be less 2010/4/10 10:55
8,000 yen would be a higher mobile phone bill- people with Docomo usually quote that amount but not everyone pays that much. I pay about 4,000 a month with AU and have virtually unlimited emails and a lot of internet and talking time with that.

We pay an average of 12,000 a month for utilities for the two of us, so one person should pay a lot less than 15,000 yen unless they have the heater/ A/C running 24-7.

Internet connection costs us 2,000 a month, and a landline is not compulsory if you have a mobile phone- a lot of people don't bother with it these days. Actual TV service shouldn't cost anything unless you want cable or are caught by the NHK fee man.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

enough i think... 2010/4/12 10:21
i think 170,000 is more than enough if he's single and maybe young.
In my student days i used to survive every month in tokyo with 180,000 yen and believe me, i was able to pay an apartment in Shinjuku (small of course), to eat out frequently, go out every weekend to bars, izakaya, clubs, etc, and i could still save some money and after some months travel within japan.

i had friends who survived on 130,000 monthly as impossible as that may appear, but i think it's just a matter of administering correctly your money.
by mio (guest) rate this post as useful

Doable 2010/8/6 13:56
Living in a gaijin house in tokyo outskirt (west side, so convenient if going to shinjuku and shibuya, but hecka far away if plan to go to tokyo station or asakusa) with a tight budget, for a single person (oakhouse guest house).

Rent 50000 yen (utilities, internet, TV are included)
Grocery 20000 yen (sometimes purchase from markets, mostly from lawson 100 yen stores, you can purchase many goods for 105 yen each, cook at home and save alot, in fact i only spend 15000 yen/month)
Cell Phone 3500 yen
Transportation 10000 yen
Total 83500 yen/month

Even if you make 170000 yen/month here in tokyo, you still get about 136000 yen after tax (on the first year you may pay much less for tax, so somewhere between 136000-150000 disposable income). That come out to about 50000 yen extra/month for entertainment. Then again, it's hard for you to have saving with this kinda of salary (you'll need entertainment for sure, what's the point of coming to japan and stay home everyday???). If your employer is nice enough to give you a 3 months of bonus, then you'll have some saving.

This is the case for Tokyo and other big cities where competition is high so you can find 100 yen stores everywhere. As for okayama, i have no idea.
by stephen424 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread