Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do you know this movie? 2009/12/20 15:21
I read a review about a Japanese movie last year about an elderly couple who go to visit their children in the city. Gradually it dawns upon them they are unwanted and have become irrelevant to their children's lives. Can anyone help?
by Penny (guest)  

movies 2009/12/20 18:30
there are several movies on this subject! is it an old one in black and white? then it is likely to be Tokyo story by Ozu, one of the greatest directors of all times. see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Story

I am originally from France and grew up in a similar atmosphere of arranged marriages, official respect for elders that often mask indifference, cultural shock between the older generations that went through wars and poverty and the younger ones that didn't ..so I can relate a lot to that story and other movies by Ozu.

A similar movie came out a few years ago (Kirschbluten/ Cherry Blossoms, from 2008). It starts in Germany with an older couple that goes to visit their children in Berlin and are not really welcome. Something crucial happen and the action moves to Japan. The movie was likely inspired by Tokyo story, and there are several railway scenes, a staple in Ozu movies, but then in Europe as in Japan people take the train all the time.. Both movies are gentle, low key yet very moving.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Do you know this movie? 2009/12/20 20:02
Redfrog, thank you your answer is most helpful.
by Penny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread