Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching English without a Degree 2009/12/25 18:19
I know that this question has been answered in various ways; however I wanted to know if a person wishes to teach English in Japan without a university degree but have obtained a TESOL certificate, would they be eligible? Also, if they are not, can they go to the country and provide private English lessons? And are there any other positions one may apply for if they are fluent in English but have basic Japanese language skills?

I appreciate any answers and if there are people with experience I would love to hear from you. Thank you very much.
by waterlillium  

University degree 2009/12/26 19:05
waterlillium,

I'm sure this will just repeat what you have read elsewhere, but a degree isn't an absolute requisite for teaching in Japan. It is however an immigration requirement if you wish to get a full-time working visa. So if you have or qualify for another type of visa (e.g. Working Holiday or Spouse Visa), then it is perfectly possible to find work without a degree - although employers will naturally choose university educated candidates over those without degrees. Qualifications such as TESOL will obviously be an advantage.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread