Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

stay in japan for 12 months with kids ? 2010/1/2 00:54
Hi there. Can anyone help me with some advise.

I have an exwife and 4 kids who now live in Japan. She is Japanese and my kids have dule nationality.

I now have a chance to go and live there for one year but have been told that I can only get an entry permit for 90 days ( and extend it for another 90) does anyone know how I can stay for 12 months ?. I have funds to cover my stay. Thanks

Namgorf.
by Namgorf  

... 2010/1/2 08:57
UK citizens can enter Japan with a passport for 3 months, and can then extend the stay to 6 months, while inside of Japan. After 6 months, however, you will have to leave the country once and re-enter. You might encounter difficulties re-entering, because immigration officers often suspect foreigners, who stay more than half a year on a tourist visa, of illegal work.

What will you be doing in Japan for the entire year? It will probably be more convenient to get an appropriate visa for an entire year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Legally 2010/1/7 12:37
As the parent of a Japanese national, you technically do qualify for a visa.

However, since you are divorced and your ex obviously has custody, you need the cooperation of your ex as a guarantor.

Consult with an immigration service or the consulate near you.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

interesting 2010/1/7 18:48
i have spoken to the japanese embasy in london but they say that i can't get a visa through my kids. i even aske if a case that wy ex wife was to pas away would i be able to stay to look after my kids but they said there was no such chance.

id love to hear more if anyone knows
by Namgorf rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/7 18:55
I endorse what Uji-san posted earlier. I am not aware of any visa that is granted on the basis of being a (non-married) parent of Japanese nationals. Should any extreme situation like the one you mentioned arise (which we all hope won't), it may be considered on a case-by-case basis, as an exception, but not as a rule.
by AK rate this post as useful

student aproch 2010/1/7 19:17
thank you. thats in line with what the embasy said. i'm now in contact with a school in Shinjuku who are working on a student visa for me. I had been told earlyer that my age (46) would go against me getting that but the school think it should be ok . time will tell. They have told me to enter on an entry permet and by the time that expiers they will be able to change it to a student visa. they seem to know what they are talking about so I'll be guided by them.

thanks for all the help

... 2010/1/7 19:31
Please be sure to submit the application to change *before* your initial 90-day temporary visitor status or (should you extend it once) extended second 90-day expires. Changing to student/pre-college visa (I don't know what school it is so I don't know exactly which status you'll apply for) in Japan shouldn't be that big a problem if you have a school that accepts you, you pay in the tuition, and further can show that you have enough funds without working at all in Japan to live for the duration of the course, but to facilitate the process please ask the school, or check on Japanese government websites what papers you need to bring from UK for the application to change.
by AK rate this post as useful

Should have been more specific 2010/1/8 01:27
I realize my post may have sounded like visas in your circumstances were easy to get.

Sorry about that.
But I know for a fact that your type of situation is not a 100% non-possibility.

Again, it depends on multiple factors, and specifically your relationship with your ex-wife.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

General visa: family stays 2010/1/8 02:01
According to my source from the SF-Consulate your situation will be evaluated pursuant to the above category. Requisite proofs needed to grant a merit reviews are:

-marriage certificate
-certificate proving you are the father
-timely child custody payments
-proof of divorce

If you meet above conditions you should make a visa application pursuant to above, family stays,, your application shall be forwarded to the Ministry of Justice in Tokyo for a decision.

Good Luck,
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

thank you 2010/1/8 02:04
not at all. your coments were and still are usefull. I know that things in life are never black and white. it will help if I decide to live and work in Japan at any time in the future. At the moment I'm only looking to study for a year so think that the student visa aproch will work well. Your (and every one elses) comments are very helpfull. Thank you for taking the time.

reply to this thread