Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

would working in a maid cafe be bad? 2010/1/4 04:09
one of my friends was kidding around when he said "you're so moe and look and act so much like a typical anime girl that you should work in a maid cafe!"
and i thought "well,that's not a bad idea..." but of course i was in denial about the other things he said...

so would working in a maid cafe be bad?Like,would it be looked down upon as immoral or something?
would they even hire a hispanic girl?
what does everyone think?
by SORAcake  

I don't think so.. 2010/1/4 12:20
In my personal opinion I don't think working in a maid cafe is bad,there are many rituals and additional services offered at many maid cafés. Maids greet customers with gWelcome home, Master (Mistress)h (‚¨‹A‚è‚È‚³‚¢‚Ü‚¹A‚²Žål—lI Okaerinasaimase, goshujinsama) and offer them wipe towels and menus. Maids will also kneel by the table to stir cream and sugar into a customerfs coffee, and some cafés even offer spoon-feeding services to customers. Increasingly, maid cafés offer grooming services, such as ear cleanings and leg, arm, and back massages (provided the customer remains fully clothed), for an additional fee. Customers can also sometimes pay to play card or video games with maids.
Customers are also expected to follow basic rules when patronizing a maid café. One Tokyo maid café recently published a list of ten rules that customers should follow in a maid café. For example, customers should not touch a maidfs body, ask for a maidfs personal contact information, or otherwise invade her personal privacy (by persistently following her or waiting outside the café for her to enter or exit). One common rule in a maid café is that photographs of maids or the café interior are forbidden. However, customers usually have the option of paying an extra fee in order to get his or her photograph taken with a maid. The maid will then hand-decorate the photograph for the customer. Also,Waitresses in maid cafés are often chosen on the basis of their appearance; most are young, attractive and innocent-looking women. For example, Royal Milk Café, a popular maid café, reports that the average age of its waitresses is 20.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_cafe#Rituals.2C_Etiquette_and_Additi...
by Polina1995 rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/4 15:26
No, I don't think it will be looked down upon - it's a job like waitressing in a way.

I see that you are from the US - unless you have a bachelor's degree (immigration requirement) and some skills/looks that the employer in Japan definitely wants (over a Japanese candidate) you will find it difficult to get hired at one. You will need to be fluent in Japanese (if you want to work at one that caters to the locals).

Note that if you want to work there part-time while studying in Japan on a Pre-college or Student visa, Immigration authorities might consider such establishments as "entertainment" (instead of food service) and might not allow any students to engage in work there.
by AK rate this post as useful

Well.... 2010/1/5 07:13
When I read the question title a manga i read poped into my head lol, " Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama " ^_^ any way im not too sure about a answer for your question XD but thank you because you've given me a great idea!
by Kayla Sasori rate this post as useful

It depends 2010/1/5 14:43
I'm not Japanese, or in Japan, but I research a lot.

According to my sourses, generaly speaking it would be something of a cross between a Server and Adult Indestry job, in US terms.

Highering would be based upon your apperance more than abilities, but speaking Japanese would be required for most. Think of it like acting. You play the part of a Steriotyped Maid, rather than serve as a server.

As far as bad or good, it's not that simple.

Many Japanese people like such things, but it may me seen as Otaku. This means that if someone finds out you work in such a place they may be a bit oncomfortable. Otaku is a term that means obsessive about something. Tipicaly Anime related things in US useage but the term can refer to any obsession.

I know that there are many who don't like to be around such people and would find it insualting to be thought of as such in Japan.

My penpal in Japan told me a story about a party event at her college that everyone dressed up for. She made sure to include that she did not dress like an amime cherictor and was not an Otaku. When someone makes a point to say that there not something, it's usualy do to either you or that person feeling that such a thing is improper.

I don't think race would automaticly mean you can't get a job like that. My sourses do however lead me to belive that there are 2 standard types that are attractive in Japan. It's not that others don't exist, just that they are less common. The 2 types are the Japanese ethnisity and those with the opisit apperance that are uncommon in Japan. (Blond, tall, etc.)

Also under Japanese laws there are restrictions for Visa's and such. Student Visa's do not let you work. (Unsure of this one) Host and Hostes club workers must be Japanese or Maried to someone who is. Diferent types of work require diferent Visa's.

Unless you are already highered by a emploire, you would need a Vistiers or Tourist Visa. (unsure of exact one needed) You would need to change it once your status changes.

If you are a US Citisan you should also look into the US State department's advice on such a thing. One aspect I've heard is that when visting another country, you should register with the US Embasy. This is so if an emergency happens you can be notifed and brought back to the US.

But Basically, just remeber that it's Japan. People are vary polite. It's not so much you that you need to worry about. Japanese people tend to hide when you say something that hurts them etc. Look for how it's said in context. Not what is said. This is the simpalest way to find what they really mean.
Try wikipedia for japanese coulture and manures. With practice it comes natraly.

Best advice for someone from the us is to watch movies based in the renosance peiriod and other times prior to the wide spread use of firearms. Then recodnise how polite they speak. By conparisen to the US Japanese manure of speaking is closer to that. If you offend someone in the US a simple "I'm Sorry", is fine. To comunicate the same way in Japan you have to be more expressive. Genaric Example: "I'm so sorry! I did't mean to offend you. Please forgive me."

My sourses include Wikipedia, Japanese Penpals, friends of the family who visited Japan and were told be Japanese people the information, Crossrefrenced Japanese Media. etc.

Hope this helps!
by NeoKitten rate this post as useful

maid cafes 2010/1/5 16:36
Hmm. Some of your information is good, NeoKitten, but a lot of it shows that you have never been to Japan. I can assure you that Japanese people do not always talk very politely or apologise profusely, for one thing.

Also, it is possible to work on a student visa, but you need permission from Immigration.

Basically, to answer the original question, unless you are very fluent in Japanese (includes reading and writing), an employer is unlikely to want the bother of hiring you. Even if you found an employer who did want to hire you, there is no visa which covers this category of employment (other than the "Spouse of a Japanese National" visa) and it is questionable whether it would be acceptable work to do on a student visa. Probably not really worth setting your sights on as a primary goal.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/1/5 17:08
I've been out to Akiba a few times a month and I've notice a lot more foreign looking (eg White) young looking maids working out there.

I doubt they are on Working Visas, not exactly sure what visas they might be on, working holiday and maybe possibly student visa with work permission.

If you do not qualify for a work visa, working holiday visa or have some other visa, then I would say it is quite hard if that is your primary professional goal, a part-time job maybe ok, but you need a via.

But for the sake of visa arguments,
yes it is possible because I've seen it in Akiba (akihabara in Tokyo), and I think it is
aimed at grabbing a market in the non japanese speaking foreigners who visit Akiba, but also the ones who just want something different.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

~ 2010/1/30 13:42
i had an american friend who worked in a maid cafe. i think she was just on a student visa but was allowed to work part time on it. her level of japanese was very high, and she was very small (like 102 pounds at 5'2''.) she said a lot of maids aren't especially good looking btw. i think it's just up to the owner of the cafe if he will hire a latino person. it doesn't hurt to try in any case, if you're thin and your japanese speaking ability is high. good luck.
by anon (guest) rate this post as useful

IT IS NOT BAD 2010/5/19 17:39
Its not a bad idea because to me what matters is not to stay home doing nothing. I would not mind as long as there is no prostitution is involved.
by Judith Chileya Mechi Tembo (guest) rate this post as useful

Its not so bad its sorta fun 2011/2/17 06:31
well Im half american half hispanic i can speak japanese very well and i grew up in america and decided on my own to move to japan when i turned 18 when i first got there i worked at a maid cafe and thought it was really fun and they will hire you if you can speak japanese and be able to learn listen and be respectable to customers. (note it was fun but you still have a job to do its basiclly a waitress job with a nice costume)
by Kawaii ninja (guest) rate this post as useful

visa type 2011/2/17 10:24
Kawaiininja,

I'm curious to know what visa type you were in Japan on during your time as a maid? Were you a student working part time?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Spelling 2011/2/17 12:05
neokitten.. interesting info but your spelling is unusual to say the least...better watch it! (especially if you are from the US)
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread