Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tennis in Japan 2010/1/5 05:40
Hi, I really wonder if Japanese people like tennis, I know that they like baseball and softball. I lived in Nagasaki for 11 months and never seen a tennis court.

Do Japanese people like Tennis and play?

Thanks.
by AoKaori  

popular than softball 2010/1/5 14:18
Of course, many Japanese like playing tennis. It is more popular than softball. I don't know much about Nagasaki, but tennis court are everywhere in Japan and many people play tennis on holidays.
by Yoshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Sports Store 2010/1/5 17:59
Just go to a sports store, including Bic Camera, and you'll see tennis eqpt along with golf stuff. Ask the salesperson where there's a good place to play.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks Yoshi and Kato 2010/1/5 18:04
Yea, you're right, that's a good way to learn but I'm no longer in Japan. So... =)

Really, you like it? I couldn't see so. Well thanks for answering.
by AoKaori rate this post as useful

Very popular 2010/1/5 19:14
I always had the impression that Tennis is extremly popular in Japan. I can only speak for the Chiba/Kanagawa/Saitama area but I've often seen people carry their Tennis equipment on the train, there are tons of Tennis courts everywhere. I've been to local tournaments and there were many people there, young and old.
In my country Tennis is more of a sport for wealthy people. It's quite popular on TV but I've hardly ever known anyone who plays it. In Japan on the contrary I know a lot of people who play Tennis. In fact it was one of the things that surprised me when I first came to Japan.
by tiyana (guest) rate this post as useful

tennis club 2010/1/5 22:26
I entirely agree with tiyana.
And one more thing I want to say is that almost all universities, colleges and high schools have tennis club, just like baseball club. This is evidence that Japanese like tennis, isn't this?

Okay 2010/1/6 00:23
Okay I gave up, Japanese people like tennis, so how will you explane that there weren't any tennis courts in Ngski?

Or maybe I didn't see. This is also a possibility.

Thank you for your answers.

tennis court in Nagasaki city 2010/1/6 02:39
On website, I could find that there are at least twelve public places to play tennis only in Nagasaki city(not prefecture).
This site is one example.
http://www.nagasaki-kakidomari.jp/shisetsu/tennis.html
This park has nineteen tennis courts with facilities for night games.
Should I explain more?

=) 2010/1/6 09:03
Don't get mad, i understand it and my question was just born out of curiousity. I just started being interested about tennis so i realized that I haven't seen any courts nearby. But I'm no longer in Japan so, しかたない。But if I come back to Japan again I'd definately go play. =)

sorry 2010/1/6 11:49
Oh, I'm sorry. It's my mistake if it cause a misunderstanding. I never get mad. Because I'm not good at English, my sentence and expression must be wrong.

Yoshi 2010/1/6 14:36
No Problem. I know you are trying to help.

reply to this thread