Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Worth moving to Japan from Hong Kong? 2010/1/5 11:58
Hi. I currently teach as an English Teacher (on the NET scheme if you have heard of it)in Hong Kong. I had always thought of making a move to Japan to experience living in a different country. I'm Swiss-Chinese and have the necessary qualifications to teach English (e.g. degree from UK, TESL). I have taught for 7 years in proper schools (not language schools) and am wondering if I would still be looking at an entry salary of 250,000 yen. I currently make around 420,000 yen a month in HK, so i guess thats the main issue really. Anyone that has worked in both places? Would really like to hear from you. Thanks a lot.
by Veek  

. 2010/1/5 13:44
I'm not sure about Hong Kong, I know a teacher who's been teaching in Japan for 20+ years, he breaks even at around 30k JPY a year and has to support a family.

If you're looking to make over 45k (don't forget to factor in Japanese living costs and taxes vs HK as that can be a major factor as well, so 40k in JP is not equal to 40k in HK after all the living costs and taxes are factored in).

The jobs you should be looking at is university level teaching if you can if you want to make some money.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

China 2010/1/5 17:30
If I were you, I'd remain in HK and save some money to start some new venture. IMO, China is the new Japan; Japan will be on the decline or treading water economically for some time. Japan would be a good place to go on vacations, but your future should remain in HK and China. I would take some business courses if I were you. Maybe get an MBA from HKUST. Anyway, good luck.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/1/7 11:59
Thanks for both your valuable thoughts.
by Veek rate this post as useful

reply to this thread