Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

iPhone in other countries 2010/1/6 11:34
1) I am interested to know how one can use a SIM card in an unlocked iPhone? The Softbank site given shows you can only do this with limited softbank compatible handsets...

2) I am resident in Japan and just went to the UK and Spain with my Japanese iPhone. Softbank's info on using my iPhone abroad is pathetic (see below) I was simply advised to turn OFF data roaming (it tells you in the network settings on the iPhone anyway!) to ensure I did not have a massive bill waiting for me when I returned (a friend fell foul of this problem to the amount of several thousand dollars!).

3) Softbank's service regarding iPhone is hopeless, they simply refer you to the Apple iPhone Technical Support site. Even at Kansai Airport they simply gave me a piece of paper with the phone number on, very disappointing compared to other providers such as AU and Docomo.

Softbank acquired the rights to sell iPhone here in Japan, they should look after their customers. An issue I intend to take up once jet-lag wears off..

If anyone knows how to use a Japanese iPhone abroad I would be VERY interested to know!

Cheers
by rickouk (guest)  

Japanese iphone abroad 2010/1/6 11:35
1) I am interested to know how one can use a SIM card in an unlocked iPhone?

If you have an unlocked iphone then you simply swap out your intended sim card with the softbank one currently in your phone. Note that softbank will not unlock your iphone for you so in order to use other carrier's sim card you will need to do a soft unlock yourself (potentially breaking your warranty).

2) I am resident in Japan and just went to the UK and Spain with my Japanese iPhone. Softbank's info on using my iPhone abroad is pathetic (see below) I was simply advised to turn OFF data roaming (it tells you in the network settings on the iPhone anyway!)

They are basically telling you how to internationally roam while using your softbank plan. They will not advise you how to unlock your phone to use on other networks (which is what it sounds like you want to do), as that is not their business and potentially breaks your user agreement with softbank.

3) Softbank's service regarding iPhone is hopeless, they simply refer you to the Apple iPhone Technical Support site.

Thats simply how it is for iphone. I believe part of the agreement with Apple is that Apple handles all hardware related things when it comes to the iphone. All softbank can tell you is how to internationally roam on your softbank plan.

If anyone knows how to use a Japanese iPhone abroad I would be VERY interested to know!

If you intend to use your iphone abroad with a foreign carrier then you will first need to unlock your phone (soft unlock, or turbocard depending on your phone model). Then you will be free to use your iphone with whatever sim you acquire abroad (prepaid or otherwise). Try googling "unlock iphone" for more info and be aware that there is the potential to brick your phone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

iPhone using abroad 2010/1/15 18:44
This is the easiest question ever posted just go to this website they even have a shop in London. Unlock your phone and use a sim from the county you are visting.
http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/ don't get ripped off by networks
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

oops 2010/1/15 18:57
Actually my question should have read 'locked' iPhone... but thanks for the info.

I know you can unlock an iPhone but you do break the warranty which is surely not a good situation... the basic facts are that neither Softbank nor Apple have a solution for what I am sure many people want to do and can do with other phones... I have been an apple user for more than 25 years and this is one of the few times I have found something very disappointing with their service. Sigh.

Good job I had an old UK (Nokia) phone anyway, which I could use in Spain without any problems at all...
by rickouk rate this post as useful

iPhone warranty 2010/1/15 21:43
Yes if you jailbreak or unlock iPhone it voids warranty but all you have to do if phone had a problem is to install original apple firmware again from iTunes and your back in warranty as if nothing ever happened to phone. Simple

iPhone abroad 2010/1/15 21:56
Disable voicemail and roaming and use wi-fi area's as much as possible . But as always jailbreak phone and use a simcard from country visiting. If you decide to use your simcard from original country you will always pay higher costs no escape. Also check your online softbank account regular to see what charges are being incurred to give you a heads up on billing for your duration

iphone 2010/1/18 09:32
Actually my question should have read 'locked' iPhone... but thanks for the info.

In that case your iphone works exactly like your old Nokia Phone. You simply internationally roam on whatever softbanks partner carrier is in the country that you visit. The only additional thing is that you now have the ability to use data, so you need to decide if that's worth the international roaming charges to you. If not then you have the option to turn them off.

Keep in mind that Apple makes the phone, and it is technically capable of doing what you are wanting to do with it. Your problem is with the carrier (softbank), who controls how the phone is used on under their service, but keep in mind that how they handle international roaming is basically industry standard. If you want more freedom you always have the option to purchase an unlocked iphone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread