Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to teach in Japan (not english) 2010/1/7 16:40
I understand that I will have to be very fluent in Japanese, but after that what do I need? I have a Bachelors in Biology and I want to teach it in Japan. Should I certify to be a teacher here and then look for jobs or should I try to get certified over there?

I would also like to know how easy it is to get accepted into a graduate program over there (again, as long as I am fluent in Japanese). I would like to get a graduate degree along with my wife who is a Psychology Bachelor.
by Devin (guest)  

Stay Home 2010/1/7 21:38
For a teaching position in both countries you will need the credentials.. getting credential in the home country would be expedient versus learning the foreign language and becoming adequately competent to take the Japanese teacher's exams. However the home country credentials is just that.

Alternatively, most foreigner will begin their career in Japan as an English teacher, and enroll in the language class during the off hours. Question is, is it worth the expenses of doing all that versus your potential career earnings at home. An average English instructors earning are in the range of US $16 - 20 before the deductibles as taxes, health insurance, and pensions.

Alternatively,lets explore your options. (1) It's possible to find a work with the bio-tech or bio-health company in your home country. Look for company with a subsidiary branch in Japan, and after several years ask for a intra-transfer.

No matter which avenue you choose you will need a worker's visa for a extended stay in Japan. One of you must be sponsored by the employer, other can be a spouse dependent.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

international schools the best bet 2010/1/7 22:11
You would be far better off looking for a job in an international school, as written and spoken fluency in Japanese is something that takes years to reach. Not to mention that fulltime teachers at public schools in Japan must be Japanese citizens.

It is not really realistic to try to get your teaching certification in Japan- many Japanese people fail the exams, and they are native speakers of the language. Get it in your home country, so that you will be able to get a job there if Japan does not work out for you.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/8 00:19
In theory, this is one method that may work for you but I've never tested it nor have I ever heard of anyone that has, sorry.

When applying to a university in Japan, the language is the most difficult part of the process. If you are not fluent in the language there are schools that specifically train foreign students to enter Japanese universities. They usually offer 2-3 year intensive Japanese language courses which should bring you to a 'near-native' level.

By the end of the courses you will be giving speeches and writing reports all in Japanese.

Then, after you take these courses, you need to take a standardized language test for foreigners. Even if you are fluent, you need to take the test to prove to the University that you are. There is no getting around it.

There are two different tests, the JLPT(Japanese language proficiency test) and the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU). The EJU is starting to take the place of the JLPT for university entrance exams.

So! After you pass the EJU or JLPT, you may then apply to a bachelors or masters program in Japan :)

At that point you could choose to major in "kyoiku'i‹³ˆç), which just means Education or Teaching.

After graduating, you need to take a special teaching certification course and then go to the board of education and take yet another test. If you pass the test, they put your name on a waiting list and when a position opens up, they give you a call.

The main problem with this idea would be getting a Visa. Even if you do all this, I don't think any board of education will sponsor your Visa, but there is hope!
You technically can self-sponsor. You just have to show the government proof that you have a position waiting for you and that the salary would be on par with what a Japanese citizen doing the same position would get.

Whew!
Just explaining all that took so much work! No wonder no one ever actually does this.

Hope that helps!

Oh and by the way, as I said before, 'in theory' this should work but I've never heard of a foreigner who make it threw this process and now works at a public school in Japan as a teacher.
by Johnny82 rate this post as useful

teaching in japan 2010/1/8 09:33
I understand that I will have to be very fluent in Japanese, but after that what do I need? I have a Bachelors in Biology and I want to teach it in Japan. Should I certify to be a teacher here and then look for jobs or should I try to get certified over there?

To get back to your question about certificates, regular full time teaching jobs in Japan (not including international schools) require a Japanese teaching credential. A teaching credential from your home country will not fulfill this requirement. Depending on what your goals are the best option for you may be to take Sira's advice and look into International Schools. In that case a teaching credential from your home country would put you at an advantage.

Also, as far as others have pointed out it IS possible to become a non-english teacher in Japan. There are exactly three people doing that in my prefecture, however it is a long and difficult process and every single one of them started off as an English alt for the first 3-8 years of their career. Most importantly, during that time they did some valuable networking within the prefectural education system which was probably vital to them even being considered for the position.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

THANKS! 2010/1/8 20:19
I'm Devin, the original poster, I just registered.

Thank you very much for this info, it's exactly what I needed on all fronts. I don't know what I'm going to do, perhaps I'll get my teaching certificate and teach at an international school and apply for grad schools after I get a job over there. Then hopefully I'll get high enough to be a professor/researcher (my ultimate dream).
by funkamatic rate this post as useful

YOU ARE NOT ALONE 2010/1/9 01:08
funkamatic,

Somehow people from outside of Japan have a misguided belief that Japan is better than its own country. Yes, in minute degrees it is, but when closely examined, there are many glaring issues - especially for a foreigner lacking the basic foundations - to ease any foreigner interested in working in Japan its government implemented the basic immigrating prerequisites - and it's the responsibility of that foreigner to meet those conditions.

Even meeting the immigration conditions a foreigner must navigate to find a employer that will sponsor his immigration visa - this is true whether you find a job in Japan via the recruiter in U.S. or you visit Japan as a tourist and find a employment. Question is what employer in Japan will hire an American that isn't fluent in Japanese language - that is the reason most begin their career in Japan as a English instructor. But, that is not the road you will take. Truly you views of Japan is misguided. Moreover, I do not know any professor/researcher in U.S. or Japan with the Master Degree - all have PhD or better.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

... or better 2010/1/9 09:45
stanfordgal, I agree with your post but have to ask... how do you "better" a Ph.D.? Is there some educational qualification above and beyond...?
by Mikey (guest) rate this post as useful

maybe 2010/1/9 10:43
There is one area of study that you can become a professor in an US university system and possibly might work in Japan too.
Many of the professors who teach studio in the Architecture programs are only required to hold a Masters degree. While i was completing my BArch degree, all of my studio professors only had a masters degree.

Maybe he can just get into an architecture program then be able to teach afterward (assuming he's fluent)?
by fruitloops (guest) rate this post as useful

@ stanfordgal 2010/1/9 22:54
I don't know about Japan, but in the US there are plenty of professors with Masters. They just aren't tenure track. That being said alot of PHDs aren't tenure either. As for research anyone can do research and get it published, You don't have to have any schooling. It's just you may not do very well if you haven't learned anything in the field.

Also, I plan on getting a PHD with post-doc work if needed to get a tenured professorship.

Anyways, perhaps I'll get my US teaching certificate and try to get a job at an international school, and if I can't get one I'll try to teach English.
by funkamatic rate this post as useful

Real teachers 2010/1/10 08:12
Anyways, perhaps I'll get my US teaching certificate and try to get a job at an international school, and if I can't get one I'll try to teach English.

by funkamatic

You know, as a qualified English teacher, it really gets to me when I see comments like "Well, if I can't do what I really want, I'll just teach English".

First, it devalues those English (or EFL/ESOL) teachers who put the time in to qualify (in the many ways that is possible).

Second, would you want a language teacher teaching you who is only doing it to fill time between 'real' jobs?? Or would you prefer someone who did the right course(s) and knows what s/he is doing and why?
by Chips (guest) rate this post as useful

english 2010/1/10 11:03
You know, as a qualified English teacher, it really gets to me when I see comments like "Well, if I can't do what I really want, I'll just teach English".

First, it devalues those English (or EFL/ESOL) teachers who put the time in to qualify (in the many ways that is possible).

I agree that saying something like that devalues the work of those who have put in the time to become qualified English teachers, however as I'm sure you're aware, this is the general situation in Japan. As jobs are rather plentiful, and teaching english is the basic "unskilled labor" that most English speaking foreigners can qualify for its inevitable that the number of qualified teachers is low, the pay is low, and that people will view it as a fallback job.

Second, would you want a language teacher teaching you who is only doing it to fill time between 'real' jobs?? Or would you prefer someone who did the right course(s) and knows what s/he is doing and why?

Of course having a qualified teacher is preferable, but when the most common way to get instruction is to head down to the local eikaiwa inc. who's main hiring requirements be that you are a native english speaker and have a bachelor's degree so you qualify for a work visa, then what do you expect. The customers there are probably not even aware of the teachers' qualifications, and those that are will seek you out on their own.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread