Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse Visa (dependant visa) 2010/1/8 00:43
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of getting all paper work sorted to marry my japanese girl.

Does anyone know if I can apply for the dependant of a Japanese national visa from outside of Japan, through the Japanese embassy in my country?

Also, I will get married as a Swiss citizen but I am also holding Canadian citizenship and would want the visa to be attached to my Canadian passport. Would that be a problem?

Thanks a lot for your help

MS
by MS (guest)  

... 2010/1/8 08:23
Does anyone know if I can apply for the dependant of a Japanese national visa from outside of Japan, through the Japanese embassy in my country?

A spouse visa is for the spouse of a Japanese national.

A dependent visa is for the spouse of a non-Japanese national living in Japan.

It is only possible from outside of Japan to get a visa! A visa is a document to ENTER Japan. Therefore, it is only available outside of Japan. It is possible to change your status of residence (for example from tourist to spouse) inside Japan, but visas can only be obtained outside of Japan at a Japanese embassy or consulate.

Also, I will get married as a Swiss citizen but I am also holding Canadian citizenship and would want the visa to be attached to my Canadian passport. Would that be a problem?

You get married in a country according to the country's procedures, but you don't get married as a citizen. Your citizenship/passport and your marriage have nothing to do with each other.

So, I assume you are marrying in Switzerland, but do not register your marriage in Canada. Is that right?

I don't think that would cause any problems. It might cause minor confusions and maybe minor complications, but I don't think it will cause a major problem.

Note also that the Japanese government does not deal with multiple citizenships. For the Japanese government you will officially have only one citizenship. If you want your visa in the Canadian passport, make sure to declare yourself from the very beginning as a Canadian citizen. It might even reduce frictions if you do not mention your Swiss citizenship. I am saying that out of personal experience. My two citizenships and my wish to have my visa attached to a certain passport cost us at least one additional visit to the immigration office and a few phone calls.
by Uji rate this post as useful

spouse visa 2010/1/8 08:44
The spouse visa and dependent visa are two different things-it is the "spouse of Japanese national" visa that you want, not the dependent's visa, which is for people being supported by a non-Japanese spouse/parent. Yes, of course you can apply through the Japanese embassy where you are now- have you contacted them yet? They can answer all the questions you have asked here and more. It should not be a problem to have the visa in your Canadian passport.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/1/8 17:31
Thank you both for answering my question. It is more clear not to me. I will get in touch with the embassy first thing.

MS
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread