Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What's Japan's IT market outlook? 2010/1/15 14:05
Hello! I have professional interests in Japan, namely in the IT field. Does anyone know how much demand there is for intermediate or advanced level IT people?

If there is any information on the outlook for Japan's IT market, especially in the field of Network Technology or Security, please contact me with the details.

Thank you!
by Arpad (guest)  

Hi 2010/1/16 09:16
From what I've heard it's not great. How much experience do you have? And do you know Japanese and can/or have passed JLPT 1? I'm gonna be going to study in March for about 15-18 months and try to get as fluent as I can be. I've got about a 1 1/2 years programming experience. I don't expect to find anything but I will try. Most of the IT jobs out there are gonna want 3-5 years+ experience and solid Japanese.
by Arbel rate this post as useful

Nothing like before 2010/1/16 13:02
Arbel is very right. Two years ago there was such a demand for IT people that Japanese skills weren't so important, but since the crash there are far fewer jobs and the vast majority of employers want people who have at least business-level Japanese at the time of interviewing.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

When I go 2010/1/17 13:44
When I arrive, I hope to have about 3 years worth of experience. More than anything, I will, by that time, have a plethora of certifications to go with it.

I plan on going into network administration and related technologies, with an aim to specialize in network and information security.

In 3 years time, given proper practice, my Japanese language skills should not be an issue, as I have had prior experience with the language before and am simply out of practice.

I still have a fallback plan, but this is what I am working with now. As of this moment, I am going to start a work-study internship within the next six months.

Thank you for the heads up on the outlook. Hopefully, in that time, things will look up. If not, I will have my fallback. Thank you!
by Arpad (guest) rate this post as useful

test 2010/1/17 14:09
Have you passed JLPT 1? If not, look at sitting the exam fairly soon, as it will give future employers an idea of your Japanese abilities.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

JLPT 1 2010/1/17 14:30
I will be looking into the JLPT as one of my immediate endeavors, then, as I will need it.

Thank you.
by Arpad (guest) rate this post as useful

Experience 2010/1/17 23:40
Yeah I'd say you're fairly good with experience, at least in the respect that it will give you some options. However, In my opinion Japanese skill and luck will be, by far, the most important factors in finding work as a foreigner. My friend studied a few years back and he had close to 10 years experience in networking. His Japanese was decent but he was unable to find work during his stay. It's not impossible though. As long as you leave a second option open, and focus on the JLPT 1. Sounds like you are doing that, so best of luck!
by Arbel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread