Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit Card Payments 2010/1/16 13:43
Sorry to ask again, but I wanted specific responses to my problem.

I just got a new Visa credit card for emergency use in Japan for 2010. Is it possible to use a bank in Japan like Citibank to make online payments?
by Joe (guest)  

... 2010/1/16 17:12
I don't know where you are from, but from the sound of your question you are from the US? And I assume you are talking about a US bank issued credit card that you plan to use in Japan?

If you are talking about using the card in Japan for purchases, and if you stay in Japan long enough that the bill might come due while you are traveling, you will need to ask that question to your card-issuing bank, if they have any affiliation with banks in Japan/Citibank outside the US so that you can make online payments.
by AK rate this post as useful

- 2010/1/17 01:27
I will be in Japan for at least a year as an ALT. I believe it is impossible for foreigners to apply for credit card within Japan.

I just sent an e-mail to Chase; see what happens.
by Joe (guest) rate this post as useful

remittance 2010/1/17 07:48
There is an overseas remittance service called GoLloyds which allows you to send money to overseas bank accounts much cheaper than the usual bank transfer in Japan. The post office also has this service. A normal bank transfer can be quite time consuming and cost over 5,000 yen. I have been using GoLloyds for years to send money back to my home country to cover various costs including credit card payments.

This is a topic that comes up often on various Japan information forums including this one, so do a search and see what you come up with.

You are right that the chances of being given a credit card in your first year here are low, however foreigners can get credit cards here if they meet certain criteria.

by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Golloyds 2010/1/17 09:24
Golloyds is new to me, but I already am aware of sending money through the post office. Which is cheapier?

- 2010/1/17 09:50

Chase E-Mail 2010/1/17 11:30
"Please be advised that Chase is not affliated with any
banks in Japan.

Please note that the following options are available to
make payment to your credit card account:

Payments must be made from a bank based in the United
States of America, in U.S. currency, and have a valid
9-digit routing number. International money orders
written in U.S. currency and wire payments may also be
accepted."

Citibank 2010/1/17 11:31
Is Citibank still an option?

sending money 2010/1/17 14:15
Yes, there is a fee with GoLloyds, but it is fact about the cheapest and fastest option. Noone is going to send your money back to the US for free!

Whenever this topic turns up, people always ask if Citibank is an option, and people usually reply that as the banking systems are not connected, no, sending money through Citibank is no cheaper than sending it through any other Japanese bank.

I have heard that the website www.xe.com is the cheapest way to send money back, but setting up an account with them is not straightforward.

GoLloyds and the post office are the two main methods people living in Japan use to send money overseas.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread