Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Remarriage after divorce 2010/1/24 06:07
My Jp wife and I are thinking of divorce,is it possible for me to divorce and exchange my spouse visa for the same type but other person, i mean if i divorce and remarry other Japanese lady.. and Is there any restriction on my remarriage how long time do i have to wait after the divorce in order to remarry in Japan?
I am a holder of Croatian Passport
Regards
Harry
by Harry (guest)  

... 2010/1/24 13:05
You could consider applying for the long-term resident (Teijusha) visa.

I know people who have gotten this visa after being divorced but with immigration each case is different so the best thing to do is check with immigration to see if you are eligible. If so, you can stay in Japan without concern of your visa status.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/24 15:14
After you get divorced, your current Spouse visa is valid until it expires, but UNLESS you get married to another Japanese woman before it expires, you will not be able to renew it. In other words, if you do get married to another Japanese woman before it expires, you should be able to renew it with her as the guarantor, though if the the time in between is short, there will be many questions from Immigration. I believe there is no minimum time requirement in between two marriages.

If you want to stay in Japan beyond the current visa, and you do not remarry a Japanese person, you need to apply for "change of residence status."
- If you are currently employed by an employer in Japan, you could negotiate (if you quality, that is) if they can sponsor you for a working visa, if that is what you want to do.
- The change to "teijusha" (long-term) visa is easier if you have an underage child and you need to stay in Japan to raise the child, or without a child, if you already have set yourself to live long-term in Japan, such as having a stable job here.
by AK rate this post as useful

Divorce etc. 2010/1/25 08:50
Harry,

since you are "thinking" of getting divorced .... can't you get a permanent resident visa before that? It would definitely help - "they" can't just kick you out of Japan. This of course depends on how long you have been over here and whether your wife is willing to support this idea.
by kulachan rate this post as useful

Forward thinking is a wonderful thing.. 2010/1/25 12:20
Thinking of getting divorced and thinking of getting re-married at the same time??
by Zadok (guest) rate this post as useful

what i meant is divorce and than marry 2010/1/25 12:40
what i meant is divorce and than marry other person soon after the divorce
by brokenheartedgaijin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread