Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bike registration... 2010/1/25 12:59
I bought a bike of a departing Gajin, (it was too much of a bargin not to pass up) but they did not have the registration document, they had lost it, and have now left Japan.

the bike has been registered in their name and has a registration sticker on it, i just wondered what peoples thoughts were on what i am best to do...

how likely am i to be able to change the registration to my name without the original certificate? a couple of bike shops wouldn't do it, but i haven't tried explaining at a koban...

should i just carry on and cycle around and hope i don't ever get checked and if i do, say i have lost it, or should i tell the truth that i bought it, i didn't understand and give them her name and address (both of which i have) its not going to come up as reported stolen.

its a road bike not a mamachari, so could well be an import, and also doesnt look so suspect that i have stolen it on some drunken night home.

Or could i just take off the registration sticker?? and say that its not registered? whats to stop me peeling it off and noone being any the wiser?
by happygolucky (guest)  

Don't take off the sticker, 2010/1/25 23:06
that will make you more suspicious. If possible, obtain a signed letter stating that the former owner sold you the bike, in Japanese or in simple English. Name is important and should be the same as registered. Japanese police officers are reasonably intelligent and will understand that stealers cannot know the name of registered owner.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread