Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to breastpump in tokyo? 2010/1/25 21:18
Hi,

I have just given birth and will be travelling to tokyo very soon without my baby. In order not to interrupt my milk supply, I would like to pump my breastmilk while in Tokyo. Aside from my hotel room, what other places can I use my breastpump? Are there breastfeeding rooms in shopping malls? How can I find one?

Thank you.
by valerie (guest)  

should be 2010/1/26 10:32
It should be possible for you to pump in nursing rooms. I am sure Uco will give you more specific advise about how to ask where one is located. Breast feeding is very common in Japan, so they should not be hard to find. Alternatively you can try to contact La Leche Tokyo for advice.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/26 15:47
Newer, larger malls (Aeon, Izumiya, Saty, etc.) and the kids floors of department stores (Takashimaya, Daimaru, Isetan, etc.) will have "nursery stations".
So do large hospitals and some hotels.

Not every nursery station will have an available outlet so a hand pump (or simply using your hand) is better than an electric pump.

Also, if you go to a super market, you can get (usually for free) "horeizai", which are little palm-sized packs for keeping food, etc. cold.
If you carry an insulated thermal pouch with a few horeizai in it, and take some breast milk bags, your day trips will be a lot easier.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

thank you 2010/1/26 16:49
thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to my trip! Japan has always been a friendly and accomodating place especially to the needs of a nursing mother.
by valerie (guest) rate this post as useful

hmmm 2010/1/26 17:22
I am sure I typed "advice" and not "advise."
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

ju-nyu-shitsu 2010/1/26 19:56
Me? Well, it's been like 17 years since I last breastfed, but you can always ask for "ju-nyu-shitsu (breastfeeding room)." At some places (such as inside the Shinkansen express trains) the staff will surrender their private rooms for customers who need to breastfeed their babies.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

japanese term 2010/3/22 17:04
how do u write breastfeeding room or nursery station in japanese?
by valerie (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/22 18:41
Žö“ûŽº
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread