Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mechanical Engineer jobs in Japan? 2010/1/27 02:54
Hello, I live in the USA and I'm starting my degree in Mechanical Engineering. I've studied a little bit of Japanese by myself and I'd like to take Japanese language classes at my university, since I am very interested in Japanese culture and in going to Japan one day (hopefully as some kind of study abroad thing as soon as possible, then maybe someday permanently? Who knows...).

Anyways, I was wondering if after graduating it would be possible for me to find a job in Engineering in Japan? Japan has the world's best automotive, robotics, electronics industries etc., and I would love to work long-term in one of those industries. Also, I've read that Japan actually has a shortage of engineers and are looking for foreign engineers to work in Japan. Is this true? Because I've also heard that Japan's economy was hit very badly by the financial crisis, and that there are few jobs available for anyone.

So if anyone knows anything about working in Japan as an engineer and how I might get such a job right after graduating, please help me out!
by castrum8  

Mechanical Engineer in Japan 2010/2/3 15:40
You could probably get a job with one of the US bases i.e. Yokosuka and start off there. See the DONHR website. It wouldn't be with a Japanese company but the benefits are excellent. They offer you housing allowance and all sorts of benefits. Normally those jobs are for 3 years and then you have an option to extend. In the mean time, you could be exploring Japan and making contacts so that you can actually work for a Japanese company if that's your goal. Good luck!
by JTinWA rate this post as useful

reply to this thread