Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ettiqutte questions 2010/1/29 11:35
Hi everyone,
I have been living in japan for a few years now and have developed a strong interest in Japanese traditional music. I am hoping to study japanese music under a friend of mine, but am unsure of the ettiqutte of asking for such a huge favor. She is a professional musician, reasonably well known, and 10 years older than be, so she is definately my superior.She has given me advice and encouragement before, but I know she is also very busy, so I would like to make a very good impression. Should I bring a gift, or would that be seen as a type of bribery?
Thanks for your time.
by Ambitious (guest)  

music teachers 2010/1/29 12:08
You say that your friend is a professional musician but you don't mention whether or not your friend is a music teacher. That's a key point that will determine how you proceed. But without knowing that info, I'd casually mention to your friend that you are interested in studying Japanese music and seeing if they had anyone they could recommend to teach you. Maybe they'll suggest that they teach you themselves, but by broaching the subject that way you don't put any undue burden on them, especially if they are not accustomed to taking on students.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/1/29 16:37
Thank you for the reply.
She has taught students before, but she isn't a full time teacher. She had hinted about teaching me before, but at that time I was extremely busy with work and children. I recently have a lot more free time and would like to pursue my studies much further.
by Ambitious (guest) rate this post as useful

music 2010/1/29 17:08
In that case your original plan sounds good to me. Head on over with some treats, and see if the offer is still available. It sounds like you have a great opportunity before you, so good luck. What kind of instrument are you planning on studying?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Fee 2010/1/30 23:54
Proceed as Yllwsmrf suggested, and once you know who your teacher will be, ask about the fee required. If you're going to pay your monthly tuition, I would say that no gifting is required. I take lessons for a traditional Japanese instrument and that's how it is with us.

It would be best, however, if there are other students learning with you as you can encourage each other and exchange information such as how you should deal with gifting and other manners. Some students might send seasonal gifts like o-chugen and o-seibo, while liberal people just skip all that.

Have fun!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread